1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

chinook help

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by gary04, May 28, 2015.

1. Trying to do my first fish which is a chinook salmon. I have a dvd on how to do it but it did not talk about the scales. What do you do for the scales that have come off. Is it covered up when painting?

2. Fran M

Fran M Member

I would scale whole fish before mounting

3. JL

JL Taxidermist for 64 years

I'm with Fran on this. Scale the fish and mount it as you normally would. Once it dries those scale pockets will outline where the scales were and will appear as though they were still there. You can either airbrush the silver color( 'cause if you can see the scales it's a silver fish) or if you really want the fish to pop you can lightly sand the skin to remove any small lumps, seal the skin and paint in the scales with Liquid Scales and do your magic with that. The reason I say scale it, is a Chinook Salmon that isn't silvery is in the transition phase and has a leathery skin with no scales showing as they have been absorbed by the fish. Good luck with this salmon...JL

4. DT10Sam

DT10Sam No flow no go!

I agree with scaling and you certainly picked one of the hardest to mount for your first. Best of luck with it.

Regards
    Sam