1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Dan Rhinarts School of Taxidermy!

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by SeanSr30, May 31, 2015.

1. SeanSr30

SeanSr30 Member

I am considering attending this school, it is close by and as many have told me my best bet is to learn from a school or one on one. This school is the closest one to me at 54miles away lol. I was hoping I could get any and all feed back from people that have attended this school or have knowledge about it. Just want to know if it's worth the money and if I will actually learn what I need to. Thank you and hope to hear all I can about this school.

2. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

Not worth it. His taxidermy skills are mediocre at best and you will learn only on his pre molded eye mannikins which only he sells. So you won't learn how to set eyes on what forms 99.99% of the suppliers sell. If you want to learn all aspects, look elsewhere. Troy Rose is about 10,000,000 times better. If you just want deer head instruction, Troy, Joe meder, Rick Carter, and many others are true champions at taxidermy and the art of teaching. Birds only? Eugene Streekstra, Troy, and many others.

3. SeanSr30

SeanSr30 Member

Thank you Tanglewood, My only problem is that my time is limited. I manage a very large farm I cannot take a lot of time off. Do these other guys work with schedules or how does it work. I would love to learn to be the best with all species not just deer or fish but small mammals and birds as well. All of them. I may have to just break my time up in pieces and study one here and one there I dont know. Do you know what their prices are?

4. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Then if time is an issue, save it along with your money and heartache. Buy the videos and get taught by world and national champions in the leisure of your own home when you want it. Taxidermy schools seldom teach you alternative methods. Dan just exploits the process to his advantage on both sides.

5. SeanSr30

SeanSr30 Member

I was going to go that route George Roof, and I got a little grief on another post of mine for just considering videos and self teaching. I am seriously wondering if that is my best option at the moment. However I have inquired some info from the great Troy Rose I keep hearing so much about. If that turns out to be a good option I will go that route.Thank you for the advice. I have another post in the beginner forum on a project of mine. Would you read it and tell me what you think please.

6. Dark Man

Dark Man Well-Known Member

Rineharts isnot worth what you will pay, i made the mistake of going there when i first got started.you will learn just enough to skate by and end up mass producing sub par mounts the way that he will teach you.save your $1500 and buy several quality videos from top notch guys,as suggested by george.then take the rest of your mo ey and invest in some tools and specimens to get you going.i learned way more from this site and publications like breakthrough than i ever did at his school.you really get the vibe that he just wants your cash

7. SeanSr30

SeanSr30 Member

Darkman, what videos do you suggest? I'm open for self teaching for right now to get started.

8. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

Attend your state show and the NTA Convention in Gatlinburg in July. You get to see work done first hand, and to interact with the instructors and others attending. It'll be the best money you can spend for quality instruction.

9. Rick Krane, Rick Carter DVDs are the way for you to start. Also the Breakthrough series of books, some think the books are dated. well the info is still good info.

10. ortegageno

ortegageno Active Member

NM
    Hell if you don't have the time away from the farm to take a class how are you gonna work on taxidermy. Taxidermy alone will eat up any extra time you have in the day.

11. That's so very true.

12. Duckslayr

Duckslayr Active Member

??? That would only be relevant if he had someone offering lessons close to his farm, willing to do it after hours. The vast majority of taxidermists are moonlighters, working on their stuff nights and weekends.

13. SeanSr30

SeanSr30 Member

Its not so much that I don't have time like that, I just mean I can't up and leave for a school for weeks at a time. I have evenings available and weekends. Well I work a half day on Saturday. So I guess its complicated i have time just not the time needed to fully commit to a lengthy school. Make sense?

14. I went to Rhineharts,best move i ever made! It is very true, he will teach you the basics. It is more than enough to get you up and goin but it will be up to you to improve and learn more as you go. I see alot of people talkn bad about Dan here but i for one would say to go and learn at his school. All of us that do taxidermy learn new things every single day and improve as time goes by. Learn the basics from Dan and hone your skills like all of us have done and are still doing. Just my own experience and opinion, not everyones.

15. Don't do it. Pick up Rick Carter A to Z, mount up a deer taking your time. Go to to your State Convention and get critique, learn from that. Also your State Convention can give you
    Names of guys that will teach one on one the finer points in their shop. I'm sure there are some excellent taxidermists in Illinois that are within an hour of you. How far is Antlerman from you? He does amazing work and Has live reference! Reference, can't say enough about that! Also Joe Meder not that far away.
    Every video I've gotten from TTU has been excellent as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. whitetails and fish only

whitetails and fish only Well-Known Member

I think Dan Rinehart is in business to teach you to make a profit from your taxidermy business, not necessarily to win competitions. I have his deer head video and I think it is very good. It would not be very hard to change to a different eye set using todays positive eye set deer headforms.

17. Duckslayr

Duckslayr Active Member

Any school can teach you the basics. Advising someone to go where they can learn the basics, including proper eye anatomy (HUGE PART OF TAXIDERMY, especially if doing more than Rhinehart whitetails) isn't bashing, it's wisdom in my opinion. That would be like sending your kid to a driving school that doesn't teach parallel parking, because you can buy a car that parks for you. Why not go where you can learn the techniques the vast majority of the industry uses, from someone who produces work that would please ANY client, rather than learn how to do mediocre work that will please mediocre clients?

18. big dan

big dan Member

utah
    If joe meader is near you I would contact him. He does classes as well, but don't expect to retain all the knowledge he throws at you because you won't. I attended a class with Troy rose and would definitely vouch for him as well but it is gonna be some travelin.

19. I give this same advice every time someone asks this question. Is there one area of taxidermy that interests you more than others? Do you want to learn how to do all mounts or focus on just birds, just deer, just fish, etc?

If you're doing this as a hobby...then I suggest picking something that you can easily acquire practice specimens. If you're a duck hunter save your birds this year and your friends too. If you deer hunt save some hides this year and put the word out to friends/family to save some. In the time between now and this coming season, find someone close to do a class or one on one. You'll shorten the learning curve considerably by seeing it done in person. Trial and error thru videos can be done but you'll spend a lot of time and money while you practice that in my opinion would've been better spent learning from another taxidermist.

good luck with your venture in taxidermy. you've already made a good decision by coming here for advice first. i'd also suggest joining your state association and attend annual conventions.

20. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

After you leave any school, you will still be a beginner, but only a two or three mount head start on the self learner. Not worth the money for a little kick start. You can watch a video or 3 of them to learn 3 different ways to get where you want to go, you can learn basics at home, then find a weekend guy to fine tune you, and you have spent less than half of the money that a school would cost you.