1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

First project need help with a minor problem on my deer hide!

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by SeanSr30, Jun 1, 2015.

1. SeanSr30

SeanSr30 Member

Ok so I'm choosing to mount a deer for my first piece. Well kind of....some of the work has been done. I've mentioned it before that my grandfather was a taxidermist and 7 years ago he passed away. Right before he passed he had told me he didn't finish my deer because he had an accident with my hide. While fleshing it his arm gave out and he dropped it, the flesher made contact with the face removing hair on the cheek area. About a half dollar size area. He began to cry when telling me this n so did I not because of the deer but because I've never seen him that way. He told me this in the hospital while battling stage 4 lung cancer. Now I'm not telling the story for pity or sympathy I'm explaining why this means so much to me. The deer was the biggest one I had shot at the time and it was our last hunt together before I lose him. I would like to know how I can fix this so that it still looks good. The hide is fully cleaned and tanned. All I need to do is mount it. This would mean the world to me to finish. Any help and advice would be GREATLY appreciated.

2. SeanSr30

SeanSr30 Member

I will post a picture ASAP so you can see what I'm working with.

3. SeanSr30

SeanSr30 Member

I apologize the area is not on the cheek its about an inch below the right ear. This is the best pic I could get

Attached Files:

4. You can either cut that area out and then sew it up or try to glue hair in from another cape. I think I would try to cut it out. Just cut it the shape of a football and sew it back together.

5. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Definitely cut it out. With long hair like that, you'll never see it. It does NOT look like a shaving incident, however. That looks like the hair slipped.

6. SeanSr30

SeanSr30 Member

Not sure exactly how or what happened George just going by what he told me, his memory and thought process wasn't all there at the end so who knows. Not that any of it matters i just wanna be able to fix it.

7. Just cut it out.

8. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    Cut it out in a football shape and sew it up, as stated it appears to be slip, so check surrounding area for any more, prior to cutting.