1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

The Month in Fish Pictures" ~Year 6~ June Edition 2015!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by Rick Krane, Jun 1, 2015.

1. j.mik.

j.mik. Member

Lovin' that smallie, Den.

2. Steven Klee

Steven Klee Steven Klee Studios

Thank you guys.

3. Taxi-lover

Taxi-lover Active Member

Here's fish carving from me...hope you like it!!

Attached Files:

4. Skua

Skua Member

great work JP

5. Re: The Month in Fish Pictures" ~Year 6~ June Edition 2015!!!!!!!

a custom molded 28" Souther Flounder

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Re: The Month in Fish Pictures" ~Year 6~ June Edition 2015!!!!!!!

One more angle

[​IMG]

7. Re: The Month in Fish Pictures" ~Year 6~ June Edition 2015!!!!!!!

A small Dorado

[​IMG]

8. hodx

hodx Herman Darr

wish someone would do a tutorial on molding a fish with inside of mouth

9. Re: The Month in Fish Pictures" ~Year 6~ June Edition 2015!!!!!!!

No one wants to because they are charging upwards of $500 a day to teach the process. Others that know have paid a lot to learn, so they are not giving it out free. Get a few sacrificial fish, Buy some silicone rubber and experiment. Cut the heads off and mold separately. That's what I did.

10. JL

JL Taxidermist for 64 years

Pretty simple really. Cut the head off your fish and place it in the position you want it to look. Fill the mouth with dental ALGINATE and pull out the mouth plug you just made from the head. Now set up the mouth plug and pour some thinned Bondo over it. You now have the inside structure of the fish's mouth. Now fill the mouth with plaster, trim it clean and cast the head in Bondo. Look up Gary Bruch and use his method of casting a one-off head using Bondo....it works great. Now you should have a mouth cup and a head. You might have to cut the head along the top and bottom center lines to get it into two halves in order to get the mouth cup to fit. Grind and secure the mouth cup and put the two halves of the head together with the fitted mouth cup in place. Do the cleanup and finish work and you have a cast head with a mouth cup inserted. Another way is to set up the head as before and pour the mouth full of plaster and put in "U" shape wire in the outside center as a pull handle and let it all set up. Now clean it up along the lip lines and pour the head in Bondo as with the other method. Now you have a cast head without the mouth. Now cut the real head to release the plaster mouth cup and let the plaster dry. Now paint on several coats of molding latex and let this dry. Peel off the rubber mouth and trim to fit your cast head. Now SuperGlue the rubber insert and finish blending with epoxy putty. I hope this a clear outline of how to do it and I hope I helped you. Good luck...JL

11. Kevin Halle

Kevin Halle Well-Known Member

Another one..

Attached Files:

12. Clew

Clew Help a child, Build our future

York, SC
    Holy cow JP is that brown live or Memorex

Kevin your painting is getting insane

Love the work
    Carl

13. Kevin Halle

Thank you Carl.

14. Impressive work Kevin! Details are amazing...

Yves

15. Kevin Halle

Thank you!

16. Clew

Clew Help a child, Build our future

York, SC
    The most precious moments a person could ask for
    Our future

Carl Lewis

Attached Files:

17. Nice pic , those children will treasure their little fish . ;)

18. hodx

hodx Herman Darr

Thanks for that info...just need it for a 78.lb bluecat I caught in the Potomac river...will practice on a small 10 pounder

19. JL

JL Taxidermist for 64 years

I would like to see it when you finish it. Heavy monofilament heated and pulled makes nice feelers or you can strip a feather shaft of the right size...dip it in clear lacquer several times and use that for the big feelers. For the heated method, tie one end of heavy mono to something solid and tie the other end to a dangling weight. Now using a propane torch heat ( from a distance) moving up and down the middle of the mono until you get the results you want. Where do I get these methods and creations....65 years experience? Good luck...JL

20. Swissfish

Swissfish Well-Known Member

Hello to all the fishheads from all over the world!

I'm not new doing fish taxidermy nor reading the forum. But I present for the first time my work on this platform.
    Maybe some of you guys like it....It's a Roach (Rutilus rutilus) with an original size of 7.5 inch. Real head and fins and self produced eye.

Cheers, I wish a lot of fun and success!

Attached Files: