1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Showing white at both ends

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by boarhunter67, Jun 3, 2015.

1. boarhunter67

boarhunter67 Well-Known Member

There's a taxidermist near me who posts pretty good pictures. I've worked with him a couple times on large projects. He took classes from Mutuskee. His work is good, but he seems to show white in the front and back corners of the eyes a lot. Very often in deer, and almost always in elk. Is this normal? I thought the white would show which direction the animal was looking, but to me it looks unnatural to show white at both ends. What is the "rule of white?"

2. jorgy

jorgy Member

Just look at reference or live critters. They can show it but often have none showing. There are a few pictures out there where the sclera is showing almost all the way around

3. TexasTaxi

TexasTaxi Member

I visited a shop that did the same thing, on every game head.
    To me, it makes the animal look like it has two lazy eyes, that point in opposite directions.

4. dshaw1414

dshaw1414 Member

I would agree that most live photos I see of deer don't show very much white at all. About the only animal that I have seen with white consistently are bighorn sheep and even then its hit and miss. I personally like just a bit of white in the back of the eye but there are taxidermists that put a little white in the front of the eye and it looks great as well!! no matter what you like if there is too much white in either the front, back or both it doesn't look quite right to be, especially for a relaxed pose.

5. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

I rarely see any reference on any ungulate that the white shows on relaxed eyes, and never in the front and back at the same time if they are relaxed.

6. Marty Feldman eyes. Jack Elam. The head would have to have the nose really elevated to show white in the front of both eyes.

7. scottdawg

scottdawg Member

I suppose at times they can show white front and back but for me never..... on my mounts.