1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Stripping off paint to repaint

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by judyhoffman, Jun 4, 2015.

1. judyhoffman

judyhoffman New Member

What would be the best product to use to take off paint on a fish to repaint it? I have a walleye that my paint job is not what I want and I want to start over.It does have gloss on it too. This is a skin mount and the gloss is just a spray paint gloss.

2. DT10Sam

DT10Sam No flow no go!

I use lacquer thinner.

Regards,
    Sam

3. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    Start with thinner and then if that isn't enough, you can use paint stripper. I have done many repairs and repaints of old mounts and this is what I do.

4. JL

JL Taxidermist for 64 years

I have always used Acetone for stripping as it cuts through most everything. Put a quantity of it in a clean drywall bucket and put the fish in head first. Now pull up the acetone with a three or four inch (natural bristle) brush as some plastic bristle brushes will melt and allow the acetone to work, melting through your finish and paint. Keep washing the surface until you're happy with the results, then a soap and water rinse will finish. If the fish has too many blemishes that show, just apply a light airbrushing of off white and seal it. Now you're ready to start over. Cover the bucket and allow the paint in the Acetone to settle to the bottom. Drain off the clear Acetone and keep it in another covered empty can for later use to clean another fish. The Acetone is still good until it evaporates away. Good luck...JL