1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Mounting a peacock

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by michelle127, Jun 5, 2015.

1. michelle127

michelle127 Michelle and Ron Ream-Life Mbr - NRA,NAHC,DAV, VFW

When skinning a peacock for mounting are there any special things to do when skinning the head out??? When mounting is there any special thing to do to the crest to make sure it stays in and don't slip??? Please email me at [email protected] or pm me here, I check my email more than here.

Any special recommendations or ideas about skinning a peacock. I did read some peacock mounting techniques.

2. DL

DL Well-Known Member

The only thing on them that is different than any other bird is the tail. They aren't that big of a bird body wise. The feathers on the head dont need any special attention.

3. michelle127

michelle127 Michelle and Ron Ream-Life Mbr - NRA,NAHC,DAV, VFW

Thanks DL

4. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

There is a tutorial on the peacock train, commonly and incorrectly called the tail, here on this site in the tutorial section.

5. Train is in the saddle of the back, it is contained in a thick, cartilage, make some grooves to get between the feathers the best you can wheel it and then wash the area well and rinse even better.. The tassel feathers can be plucked and set again later or they will probable stay in without extra work.

6. Ted

Ted Member

I did one and the legs began to stink because I did not inject them well enough. We hit it with embalming fluid and stopped it.