1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Salmon fins

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by Gwendolyn01, Jun 5, 2015.

1. Quick question for you fish guys in the Great Lakes area...what do you do with a planted salmon? Do you replace/rebuild the adipos fin or leave it off?

2. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

I leave it up to the customer.

3. DT10Sam

DT10Sam No flow no go!

I cut them off and quickly mold it in bondo. I then make a bondo cast of it and save the mold for future pours of salmon that size.

Regards
    Sam

4. The planted salmon in the Great Lakes have had their adipose fins removed for identification. They want you to return those heads so they can collect data from it.

5. duxdog

duxdog Active Member

Buy replacement fins and head or mold them. I have a lot of different sizes so a lot of times i already have some that will work..

6. den007

den007 Active Member

True, the adipose fins are removed on planted fish. I feel they should be replaced with a cast fin. They are just blobs of fat and should not be "rebuilt." When fish are mutilated or injured, I like to restore them to original condition. I get many requests to leave on a ripped, bloody looking tail, teeth slashes on the side of a fish, etc. I then have a chat with the customer and ask him or her if that is what they really want. I just did a cownose ray and had to put an arrow hole in it with blood because it was a bow kill. That was fine, but removing fins on an otherwise nice mount disturbs me. I will do it if that is the only way the customer will accept it, but I don't enjoy it.

7. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

Yes that is true, but some times a left or right pectoral fins are clipped too identify age classes.

I have customers that that want them left as is. I do what they want.

8. Apoxie sculpt it