1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Help- Making a fibre glass mould

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by whenwolveshowl, Jun 8, 2015.

1. Wanting to make a fibre glass mould of a fox and/or a rabbit.
    Never done it before but this is one thing that really interests me.

Any tips? Anything i should be concerned about?

I used to have a few llinks to some good info on here but can't find them now

2. kathleenrueb

kathleenrueb New Member

Fiberglass molds can be created in many different shapes and forms. Like any other molds it is most important to have no blind or reverse angles that can trap your subject within the mold. To accomplish this we must plan to create the mold in sections. Using a release agent that works with the resin is also very important.
    1. Plan the project carefully so that the mold can be removed (or the casting can be removed from the mold).
    2. Select the material you will use for the mold. Different shapes require different materials
    3. Build your form/mold to meet your specifications, taking care to bevel or round and sharp corners which will make removing the cast fiberglass difficult.
    4. Coat the mold with a form releases compound. Some shapes can be covered with simple waxed paper if you have no form release agent available.
    5. Glass the project according to your needs, applying sufficient glass matte or chopped fiberglass and resin to give you the strength you need.
    6. Allow the resin to completely cure before removing the finished project

custom essay writing service

3. FORTMEEKS

FORTMEEKS New Member

Jean Roll has a very good video using plaster to do a carcass cast, you can order from Headquarters Taxidermy.

There is also a tutorial in the tutorials section http://www.taxidermy.net/forum/index.php/topic,127359.0.html

Good Luck!!!

4. buckmasters243

buckmasters243 Active Member

5. I'll 2x on the DVD by Jean Roll. I bought that one recently and it's very thorough. She demonstrates a one-time use plaster cast that she proceeds to fill with bondo and foam.

You're asking about a fiberglass mold that you could use over and over...I would think that would be a little different.

6. boarhunter67

boarhunter67 Well-Known Member

How does the Jean Roll compare to Jan Van Housen's?