1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Smooth eye work...

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by DogSoldierChick, Jun 9, 2015.

1. Duckslayr

Duckslayr Active Member

???? George. Since when is spending 5x more for a product that works EXACTLY the same than something my wife picks up at Walmart bad business lol?!! Do you buy your Bondo from McKenzie? Do you buy your braided fishing line from research? Paying more, buying it from a supplier, or putting a suppliers label on something doesn't make it better. If safety solvent worked better, saved me time, or saved me money, I'd use it. It does non of the above. Maybe you should give alcohol a try (and no I'm not mad, you can use caviar oil for all I care )

2. Duckslayr

Duckslayr Active Member

If he could get Valspar at the dollar store and save me $50, I'm all grins. That's a closer scenario. I see no discernible difference between the products when I use them.

I use pro 1 on the faces, and wall paper/dextrin paste on the rest. Pro 1 is superior. But I have no drumming or shrinkage problems from the neck down, so I don't NEED a better product. My customer's pay for my supplies also, I just put more of their money in my pocket than you do, rather than in the suppliers.

3. Duckslayr

Duckslayr Active Member

By the way, guilty as charged on the rosin forms and lead ears, but a form that doesn't fit??? Come on George, give me a little credit! You do know I do African stuff, right!

4. Matt

Matt Active Member

Wow I missed all this cause I went to bed. George you know I love you, but simply put I was using alcohol WAY before this super $hit was even on the market and I don't fix what isn't broke. I think you always say that don't you?lol BTW I think my blending around my eye work will pass, wo t it George?lol

5. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Jared, you and Matt know me well enough to know that was said as an analogy for this industry as a whole and not you personally. I'm sure you know of people who will only use hide paste for the face and a few drumming points (if they use any at all) or they use "4in/nails instead. Personally, I use expensive glue all over my form. I never thought of it in terms of making more money as I just jacked up the base cost. I've always hated dextrine but I do use it to thicken wall paper paste for Africrap.

And YES, Matt, your eye work will pass. LOL My point about Super Solvent is that unlike alcohol, you can use it to soften your Apoxie. It won't evaporate like alcohol , xylol, or lacquer thinner. A few drops in a part B container that is beginning to dry out will give you a couple more months. You alcohol won't do that and losing a container of "B" can get a damned lot more expensive than a 4 ounce bottle of Super Solvent.

6. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

Your "B" won't dry out of you stop buying every color they make, and just coloring the natural yourself. LOL

Also, my suggestion was retarder which unlike alcohol, you can use it to soften your Apoxie. It won't evaporate like alcohol , xylol, or lacquer thinner. A few drops in a part B container that is beginning to dry out will give you a couple more months. :D

7. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

I have used alcohol, water and lacquer thinner as well as Safety Solvent. Safety Solvent won out. It's what I use. I also, like George, use flesh colored apoxie for the nose and black for the eyes. I use the white in ares that are not seen.

8. Matt

Matt Active Member

He's alittle tip my good friend Jimmy Lawrence gave me and it works. Take a small piece of sponge and wet it and put it in part A and another piece in part B. It will keep it soft or soften older apoxie up for you. Every now and then just wet the sponge again. Easy peasy.

9. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Matt, from a chemical standpoint, that makes no sense at all. Water doesn't hydrate petroleum products. Now it MAY increase the humidity enough to prevent a bit of evaporation, but the evaporation from epoxy is actually methanol.

10. Matt

Matt Active Member

It may not make sense, but I know for a fact it works. I tried it a few weeks ago on some really hard apoxie. Now, it's just like a fresh made batch. Try it George and you will see what I mean. I just took a sponge and cut to 2 pieces 1"x1" or so, wet them and put them in your A and B. Give it a day or two and see what happens.

11. Doug Motgomery

Doug Motgomery Active Member

Yes it works I been doing it for some time now George, try it.

12. scottdawg

scottdawg Member

^^^^ Thanks for the tip

13. rbear

rbear Well-Known Member

I have put water over the top of it close the lid and let it set for a day or two and it is as soft as the day I bought it.
    Ralph

14. Non-Typical_IL

Non-Typical_IL Member

Congrats on your new endeavor!

15. Thank you!