1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

My coon hides are still greasy after degreasing and tanning. Do I backup?

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by man2hit, Jun 11, 2015.

1. man2hit

man2hit New Member

I'm tanning some coon hides to hang on a nail in my shop. I'm using Krowtan and Krowoil to do the job. Now that I have tanned them and am into the stretching phase, I notice there is still some grease in the hides. My hands are noticeably greasy after I stretch them. I degreased for about 3 hours using tannery degreaser prior to tanning though. My question is will these hides be fine as they dry or do I need to back up and re-degrease them?

2. man2hit

man2hit New Member

Anyone?

3. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Two solutions:

1.Rewash the hides in a strong SOAP to break down the grease and wash it out. Detergents work to a lesser degree than soaps.

2. Now this is the should have been done already but if you haven't, put them in a tumbler with corncob grit and tumble them for 30-40 minutes. This absorbs the oils you've added to the tan and removes it.

jessewild likes this.
  4. RTF

RTF Active Member

You sure it aint the Krowoil that your feeling?

5. man2hit

man2hit New Member

Thank you George....

I'm sure it's not the Krowoil. I did a fox and coyote in this same batch of hides and they both have turned out beautifully! Very nicely! They are very white and soft while the coons are still greasy and very dark colored.

6. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

I degrease my coons for days, even change the pickle with fresh degreaser after it gets loaded with fat. Three hours is just not enough time to break down the fat in the skin.

7. I soak in mineral spirits, sometimes for several days.

8. Coleman lantern fuel or white gas cuts the grease .

9. stuffenstuff

stuffenstuff Member

Coons can be greaser then fox and coyote, Are you sure you did a good job removing all the fat? assuming you have......degreasers will help remove grease on the skin but not in the skin... I wire wheel fatty critters with a soft wire wheel on a 1/2 hp motor, this is after hand fleshing to remove and break up any left over grease I may have missed, then a quick layer of 50% -50% salt / borax to absorb the inner fats,rinse in Dawn dish soap then clear water and you should feel the skin squeak clean, tannery degreaser from (Rineheart" McKenzie) Is a real good degreaser !

moonshine likes this.
  10. Will85

Will85 New Member

After you wash the tanned coon hide to get the missed grease spots out, do you re-apply the tanning oil? I pickle all my hides and am never quite sure when I can wash them with soap and water. I spray them off with water, skin and flesh, pickle 3 days (with degreaser), neutralize, tan and break the hides.