1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Tiny baby bunnies

Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by ofearthandbone, Jun 11, 2015.

1. ofearthandbone

ofearthandbone New Member

I have a couple tiny bunnies...just old enough to be furry. I'd like to mount these. I understand the skin is wickedly thin but I will take my chances. I plan to put in DA. Question. Since the bunny is so small should I keep the skull intact and just skin down to the nose and clean out the brain?

2. Museum Man

Museum Man Well-Known Member

no , skin them out all the way....if you don't it will shrivel up when dried and look like a mummy's nose

3. twinrivers

twinrivers Active Member

Freeze Dry

4. ofearthandbone

I wish freeze drying was an option for me. Very expensive.

5. I've skinned a few baby bunnies and yes their skin will tear like wet tissue paper. Mostly had trouble with the legs, head wasn't to bad skinning. Just try to handle it delicately and get a couple extra rabbits just in case.

6. Judysan

Judysan The Roadkill Queen

I've heard that if you soak them in alcohol before skinning, it toughens them up a bit. This works on tiny birds also. Don't soak too long. I made the mistake of forgetting a fawn. Several hours later, the skin was like rubber. No stretch at all. Good luck

7. ofearthandbone

Thanks for the tip on the alcohol. Last night I saved a newborn goat heart, toungue, and eyes for a wet specimin experiment. I can't believe how firm they got in the alcohol with a few minutes. I will try this on one of the bunnies.