1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Hydrographics

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by elkhunter1313, Jun 14, 2015.

1. I am posting this in the beginners section to get some tips and ideas on hydrographics....i recently purchased a tank that has a propane attachment to it.

For the fellow taxidermists here who do this...how do i use propane to "control heat" the water above room temperature? and if the tank happens to be in a shed where it is a bit warm air wise...is the propane necessary?

What is the basic temperature for the water to be heated to where the dipping process does not fail due to water not being warm enough?

and finally...who is the BEST and more INEXPENSIVE company to get supplies from? I do have a single kit of base activator and clear coat spray cans that came with the tank...but will need to resupply as they are small cans

2. JerseyJays

JerseyJays Well-Known Member

I don't "do hydrographics" but I have dipped 3 items using mydipkit.Com

They reccomend 70-80 degrees water temp for their product.

3. Most films work at 93 degrees to dissolve the PVA, this takes about 90 seconds at the 93F. temp.

Then you spray the activator, there are a dozen activators on the market. You have to figure out which one works best for you. ultra fine mist and once the fil looks slick its ready to dip.

BUt this is the easy part, the hard part is cleaning and coating the item with base coat automotive paint. PPG Shopline series or Duponts Nason series works well.

4. balsamln

balsamln New Member

WI
    The rattle can paint and clear coat works fine for skulls and things that don't take a beating. Anything like a gun stock needs an automotive base coat and clear coat.
    The temperature of the water hasn't been a huge deal for me. The warmer the water the quicker the film hydrates. I'm sure you could mess something up by going to the extremes with temperatures.
    I use TWN industries for my film and activator as well as ozark hydro graphics. TWN has great customer service plus they have some of the more popular films like muddy girl and boneyard legends.