1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Bear skull measurements/size

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by skullcollecter, Jun 15, 2015.

1. I was wondering are these measurements accurate/ is this an accurate way to measure a bear skull? Is there another better way without calipers or?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

Pretty accurate. Rather something that can move, like your boxes. Try a corner against a wall so the skull is straight. I put the ruler underneath with the end taped at the wall. The measurement of length would be at the farthest part of the jaw. Same thing for the shorter axis. Put the skull square against the wall but measure from where the widest part of the cheekbones are. I think you measure with the lower jaw in place too. If you use points that can move, like your boxes, your measurements will be inaccurate.

3. Cardboard boxes are not very square either. Sea Wolf's suggestion to use a wall corner is a good one. For the other side and end, use something like a small square or framing square to be more accurate. And make the measurement at the longest and widest point. Locating the tape like shown in the above illustrations gives lots of room for error if the two surfaces are not parallel with each other. Measuring directly at the longest and widest point eliminates that error.