1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Stopping in the middle of a mount

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by Thetoad, Jun 15, 2015.

1. Thetoad

Thetoad Member

What do you guys do if you have to stop in the middle of a mount like a full body fox and can't get back to it for a couple days? Spray it down and bag it up?

2. BrookeSFD16

BrookeSFD16 Well-Known Member

Put it in the freezer. It'll thaw out when you take it back out and be right where you left it. Works on birds too.

3. Thetoad

Thetoad Member

Awesome ! Thank you. That's what I was thinking but, didn't know how the hide paste would hold up.

4. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

My concern is the hide paste also. If it is not freeze/thaw stable before it is applied, what would make it stable after it is applied? I have never done this before, so I thought I'd just voice what my concern would be.

5. Randy Miller

Randy Miller Active Member

Better planning ahead so that a day of bagging and refrigeration is all that's needed.

6. BrookeSFD16

BrookeSFD16 Well-Known Member

When you freeze the mount with paste on it the water content in the paste freezes. When it thaws, the water is still there. You should only have a thin layer of paste on your form.

Bagging works well if it's only for a day or so...but where we live mold will crank up pretty fast.

Planning ahead is definitely the key....but stuff happens.

7. Tanglewood Taxidermy

I must be dense. If the hide paste says do not freeze on the label by the manufacturer, what changes the constitution of the hide paste to suddenly be able to freeze it once it goes on the form? I have always heard to freeze it if you can't get to it for more than a few days and have always had this question, but just never asked it.

8. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Tanglewood, it's the volume. A bucket of glue reacts much more differently than a thin layer. In a bucket, an ice core will develop and draw the carrier(water) from the adhesive. With a fine layer, a core cannot form. Still, it's better to avoid such situations in the first place.

9. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Once again, as it often is, it is the obvious that escapes me and then I get the answer and duh. That makes perfect sense. Thanks George.

10. twinrivers

twinrivers Active Member

It depends on how climate controlled your shop is and how much freezer space you have. If you can freeze I would do that, but if your shop is cool or you have fridge space you will be fine for a few days. I keep my shop cold enough to hang meat in because it is so damn humid this time of the year, and I have bagged things for a day or two with no issues at all. Anything longer you may experience mold. But as Randy stated planning ahead is best, although things always seem to come up to draw me away from my work.

11. rbear

rbear Well-Known Member

One to two days under a bag is standard practice for me. Freezing does work but there is one risk that I know of. If you use clay as a bed under your eyes the freezing clay can break your glass eyes.
    Ralph