1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

What materials - (newbie questions)

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by sixxfan26, Jul 5, 2007.

1. sixxfan26

sixxfan26 New Member

Hello again. Well I didn't want to post this question in my other thread because this is of a different nature, so forgive me for taking up space here on this wonderful forum site, but........

I need help choosing the materials I need for mounting a whitetail (aside from hide prep/finishing). In other words, what materials are required to prepare the form, create the eye area, ear butts, fill in the voids around the antlers, etc? I want to make sure I get everything I need before I get started. (You know how bad it sucks when you start a project and end up needing something else...lol)

Any advice/info is greatly appreciated. And if you don't mind, also recommend preferred brands as well.

Thanks a ton!! :)

2. Jason O

Jason O Active Member

Wi
    cape thread, appoxie clay,papermache,some type of wire brush for ruffing form.pins,

3. arrowhead

arrowhead New Member

To fill the top of the skull cap off, you can use mache, potters clay, or bondo. To clay the eyes, critter clay has very little shrink, if you work fast you can use Apoxy Clay around the eye, but wouldn't recommend it for starters. Make sure the lip slot is super thin, you should have to work a little bit to get the lips tucked, you do not want a wide gap for the lips to fall into, it should be tight.

4. TIME!!!! it is the most important thing you will need

5. kduncalfe

kduncalfe New Member

Reference, Reference, Reference
    Most important tool in my studio!!!!!

6. richardcox

richardcox New Member

just do what your doing...if you don't know...ask..since your just getting started, you may want to use a dry preservative...its cheaper than buying tanning supplies and can be bought at any wal mart in the detergent isle(mule team borax)

7. SOME OF THE FIRST THINGS YOU NEED TO DECIDE ARE:

1. What size and type of foam do you need
    2. What size and type of eyes are you going to use.

Get together a list of everything you need to order from whatever supply company or get from Walmart you are going to use:

Cape thread
    Glovers needle
    potters clay
    clitters clay
    appoxie
    pins
    file to ruff foam
    bondo
    spoons
    paper plates
    hot glue gun
    hot glue sticks
    saws-all for cutting skull plate
    3 inch screws to screw skull plate onto foam
    tool to tuck with
    stapes to stape cape onto back of foam
    knife
    papertowels use in nose to keep open
    Dawn to wash hide in
    welding rods for putting in the ears to hold them while clay dries

And lots of pictures of deer. I would get all the close up pics you can of eyes,ears,nose.And pin them up in your work area.

I think I have everything listed hope this helps you out

Kim
    Bubba's Taxidermy

8. Todd B

Todd B Active Member

Hey Kim, What is this "clitters clay" LOL

9. Sorry about that Good thing I am a taxidermist not an English teacher lol
    Kim

10. sixxfan26

sixxfan26 New Member

Thanks so much for all the replies! You guys are awesome.

OK, so my next questions are:

1) what would be the best product for me to use to glue the hide to the form, considering I will be working slow? (Want to make sure it doesn't set up on me too fast.)

2) What product works the best for filling in around the antlers (recreating the skull plate & tissue)?

3) Where does bondo come into play? Are you using it for the ears instead of liners?

11. mdupertuis

mdupertuis Active Member

There are many brands of hide paste that are good, I like McKenzie Paste, but there are many good ones. As for the Bondo, can be used for the ears, setting the antlers, attaching the forms together when you make alterations, etc. There is a long post about switching to bondo from earliners......read it for different ideas about how to do the ears. Good luck!

12. We use derma-grip for hide paste. And we use bondo to set antlers and in the ears.But you may want to order some hide paste from WASCO its oder number is FP190. It takes longer to dry.

Kim
    Bubba's Taxidermy

13. mdupertuis

mdupertuis Active Member

I didn't see it above, but Zap-A-Gap is a must.

14. sixxfan26

sixxfan26 New Member

What is the specific purpose of zap-a-gap?

15. mdupertuis

mdupertuis Active Member

Lots of things....it is like super glue, but takes a little bit longer to set. It works to glue the lips on a McKenzie Cast Lip form, and just about anything you want to glue. I like to use the fine nozzle and put a little along my lip line to make sure it doesn't separate when it dries. I also put some along the antler burr to make sure the skin doesn't pull.

16. RATTRAP

RATTRAP Don't laugh, deer think my head is an acorn!

Sounds like the best tool for you is to either watch someone mount a deer and take notes or BUY A VIDEO. I purchased a few from McKenzies and learned what to do, what tools and supplies to order.

Better to see one done BEFORE you attempt your first.