1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Lyme disease (not lymes or limes)

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by clschake, Jun 18, 2015.

1. clschake

clschake New Member

So I've been reading up on old posts and finding them very helpful.
    Stumbled on an old one that mentioned Lyme Disease.
    How many of you have it?
    Still being treated?
    Having issues from it?
    What kinds of precautions do you take to prevent further exposure?
    And do you realize freezing them doesn't kill them? (Just puts them into hibernation)
    I have it and thought this good to post into beginners section to help insure they take precautions.
    (I still have issues and have gotten reinfected several times, but you NEVER get rid of Lyme. You can go into remission... but it can come back anytime your immune system decides it's going to allow it. Some never get relief, and it's now epidemic) CDC also doesn't stay up with the current numbers. They are at least 2 years behind even posting the new updated treatments.
    So ... let the discussion begin. :)

2. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

I've had it 5 times. I got the shots that later proved to be completely useless. I have the usual aches and pains in the joints with flare ups the doctors love to attribute to old age.

3. clschake

clschake New Member

The shots have been proven to "give" lyme disease.... since the bacteria can not be eradicated....you never are cured.
    How did you find out you had it? Summer horrendous flu?

4. George

Blood tests. Routine blood work will NOT work, however. I specifically requested the "Western Panel" which does and did show it present. It also showed that at some point, I'd suffered West Nile virus that hadn't been diagnosed.

5. 3 times for me. Western blot test is the best way to tell. I always caught mine early so I don't think I have any recurring issues that I know of.

Bruce

6. clschake

clschake New Member

What kind of precautions do you all take in the shop?
    Are you using permethrin on the animals and your clothing / shop or ?
    Gloves and safety glasses too?

7. George

Nothing comes I've shop without being sprayed with permethrin. The shop gets Raid Fumigators set off each month. I'm usually in shorts and short sleeves as the shop is environmentally controlled. I can feel the little bastards crawling. Sometimes I even feel them when the aren't. LOL

8. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

I am a tick magnet. Been bitten over a hundred times with no ill effects. No bump, no redness, no itch, no nothing, however, four times I have walked in the woods and have picked up a tick and got lyme's disease. The first time, it was discovered in the late stages and pretty much did me in. The other 3 times where caught early and who knows what those did. I have joint and muscle problems, some mental "fog" and heart palpitations. I have some friends that have MS and they say the problems and symptoms sound just like MS. Like George said the doctors will say it is age that is getting you. I argued with my substitute doctor, when my doctor was on vacation, who said there are no ticks in Oregon and Lyme is no possible. I won the argument when, she googled ticks in Oregon and she removed, of all things, a tick. 6 pain meds a day and I pretty much had to give up taxidermy and my day job suffers and when your in constant moderate to severe pain you can be a tad bit cranky. The doctors won't give me anything strong enough to do more than remove the edge.

9. clschake

clschake New Member

George you're one of the lucky ones so far...
    Sorry Tanglewood... you got one of the bad cases.
    I see you both mention "got it several times". Do your Dr.s tell you you're cured and then get bit again?
    Do they realize you don't cure it? You only go into remission... it can hit at any time. And they have also shown 90% of MS patients that have been tested also show the Lyme bacteria. I've had it for 5 years now, get crippled at times and never know when it's going to hit. I have also been bitten several times with no rash.
    I asked about precautions in the shop because it's spread by fluid so it makes me nervous with the fleshing. At one time I thought well I already have it so can't get any worse... I was wrong. So many co-infections as they call them and constantly finding more.
    So I am spraying my outdoor clothing and grounds with parimentin. My problem is everyone else's place isn't sprayed and I keep picking them up.
    I see a lot of young kids getting into taxidermy now too so I'm hoping some precautions will help prevent them from getting it.
    I know several that don't even go out side and have it. (mice are carriers too)
    We are in NE PA and are getting hit hard with lyme disease over the past several years.
    I really thought there would be more on here that had it.

10. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

Four tick bites, four cases. I'm going through a flare up right now. It started 6 weeks ago. I spent week two and three bed ridden, using up all my vacation time from work. The last three weeks I have been about 65% at my day job and when I get home I'm down the rest of the day and night. They usually last any where from one week to three months. I've missed entire deer seasons before. Customers don't seem to like receiving their deer heads past the completion time due to a "so called flare up, excuses, excuses". It was easier to just give it up for the most part and just do it for friends and old, good customers who don't care how long it takes as long as the quality is there.

11. George

Dusty, as far as I know, the jury is still out on "curing it". After all, Lyme is a bacterial disease (unlike two new tick-borne diseases that are viral). Early on there were found to be 21 different strains of the disease,but newer findings hint there could be hundreds as the bacteria mutates. I "found" my infections by demanding to be tested each time I found an imbedded tick. Three had the familiar bullseye, two didn't.

12. clschake

clschake New Member

I get the "flares" too... Some are only hours some months.
    Last weekend my legs went out from under me. I felt like I was pinocchio and someone cut the strings. Very scary, heart palpitations, severe muscle spasms, lethargic feeling, and it's even affecting my vision.
    I was told by my Dr.s and in reading studies, it's not curable. Like syphilis the spirochetes turn into cysts and go into hiding (remission) for a while and when your immune system gets weak they change back. (3-4 forms so they can hide). So if you've tested pos. you will never NOT test pos. The numbers change if you are in a flare much like MS or Lupus, ALS, and many other illnesses. I also get the super stupid brain fog as they call it. (Alt.) Some of the rashes look like stretch marks, some like spider bites, and some are like lupus rashes.
    There are tests for co-infections but since the CDC doesn't recommend them yet our insurances won't pay for them.
    I have friends who take their children over 4 hours away to Dr.H. for treatments. I sucks when kids have it especially. Heart issues, and behavior problems first diag. as ADD even. After treatment they do get better, but still have to have constant maint.
    For Neurological symptoms they should be doing mri's and looking for lesions. Monitoring as they do with ms, but once they find lyme they do nothing.
    I hope you both are able to stay in remission for years, actually until they do come up with a cure. :)

13. Every raw deer and turkey, and most small game go into a plastic tote outside our entry doors. They get doused with pyrethrin based tick killer for a day before we will work on them. If its cold we bring them in shop overnight so ticks will be active. Most of our critters here are crawling with deer, dog and red leg ticks. Hundreds come off some.

14. Sorry if it sounds like a silly question. So, when you say "douse them with permethrin," do you spray down the hole hide/cape? Or soak a cottonball and drop it in the tote?

15. clschake

clschake New Member

Thanks Mark!
    Critter good question. I know I've made "tick tubes" from toilet paper rolls to put out hoping the mice would take them but the cotton was still there much later on...
    I personally spray everything now. And because I didn't trust the so call "kills ticks" I tested it this spring on a few. It does work.
    hope mark answers. :)

16. George

I spray a cheap blue tarp with it and place the hide or animal on it. THEN I spray it liberally with permethrin. Trust me when I tell you that ticks aren't thinking too much about sucking blood when they encounter it.

Obviously my information and that your your doctor is opposed to one another. I've tested several times recently and I was NOT infected, so the statement that I'd always test positive is erroneous. MY information says that "when diagnosed quickly", it is curable.

http://forestry.about.com/cs/tickborndisease/a/lyme_ttknow_2.htm?utm_term=is%20lymes%20disease%20curable&utm_content=p1-main-1-title&utm_medium=sem&utm_source=msn&utm_campaign=adid-faa1ac00-1126-4471-b3d9-d67fa33e7130-0-ab_msb_ocode-5995&ad=semD&an=msn_s&am=broad&q=is%20lymes%20disease%20curable&dqi=is%2Blyme%2Bdisease%2Bcurable&o=5995&l=sem&qsrc=999&askid=faa1ac00-1126-4471-b3d9-d67fa33e7130-0-ab_msb

17. clschake

clschake New Member

Well you seem to be fine, and all those that I know are fine also as long as they got treated right away. Any of them that waited over a week have had issues. I find my information on the NIH.com. I try to go direct to the studies.

18. George

Not to belabor the point, but I trust the NIH just about as much as I trust the CDC.

19. clschake

clschake New Member

LOL
    I hear ya!
    But We have a few dr.s that have been working on testing themselves one through Johns Hopkins. Others from Maryland that have had their license suspended helping lyme patients. Now some are doing the research on the testing.
    BTW
    when you say you've tested neg. on western blot...
    are there any markers at all? Showing "old infections" if so what numbers are they and which letters? If you don't mind sharing?
    I tested neg. by elsa which of course you know almost always tests neg. Next I tested "old infection" finally tested pos. and have only gotten slightly better while on antibiotics. Always relapse horrifically when off.
    (why the dr. won't do another test, he won't be able to treat me if I test neg. or Old infection) If that makes sense

20. Randy Miller

Randy Miller Active Member

George, what spray are you using and where are you gettting it from?