1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Is this really good?

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by clschake, Jun 18, 2015.

1. clschake

clschake New Member

I know I'm a beginner, but this just doesn't look right to me? Are trophies really done like this?
    I'm looking more for pointers then trying to say someone else's work isn't good but the pain is too dark in my eyes?
    Even the bird just too tight?
    And just a fake rock for a base?
    Help me out here this is not right with the wings that tight is it? Just looks fake to me, I think a bird should look alive. Am I wrong? 8)

2. Shawn73

Shawn73 Active Member

Are you trying to rip on some one else's mount? You can look at a 50 different strutting bird pics and they all will have some slight differences. And the head color can vary alot. I got 10 or so pics in my shop to show people how much the color varies. This bird looks good to me.

3. clschake

clschake New Member

Please note.... in my OP... Not trying to pick on anothers bird... but trying to learn.

4. duxrus

duxrus Active Member

Since you are a beginner.............try to mount one yourself before criticizing other's work , especially a nice looking mount. Everyone has their own style an preference for colors and poses. If you don't like the way someone else does theirs then do yours the way you like them done.....Don't post pics of their work and bash it.

I know I'm a beginner, but this just doesn't look right to me? Are trophies really done like this?
    I'm looking more for pointers then trying to say someone else's work isn't good but the pain is too dark in my eyes?
    Even the bird just too tight?
    And just a fake rock for a base?
    Help me out here this is not right with the wings that tight is it? Just looks fake to me, I think a bird should look alive. Am I wrong?

Where I come from that is what we call bashing...If you posted a picture of the gobbling bird you are currently working on and someone used it in a post like this how would you feel ?

Use reference of live birds........not mounted ones. If you have a question about wing positions or coloration you can simply compare reference material.

5. clschake

clschake New Member

ok can someone delete this?

6. B Jones

B Jones Memeber of - NTA,UTA,AIT.Proud Member of NZTA.

What the hell is this all about

7. Shawn73

Shawn73 Active Member

There was a picture of a turkey mount he was trying to rip apart

8. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

PERSONALLY, I agreed with him. And before one of you bird guys jump to the defense, I KNOW that turkeys come in all variations of colors when they're excited, HOWEVER, there's a helluva lot of raccoon eyed turkey heads out there. That's why I paint my own.

9. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

George, what do you mean by raccoon eyed?

10. Here we go again!!!! OH Boy

11. clschake

clschake New Member

Thanks George, but all in all it was just wrong to post someone else's picture and ask for critics... being new at it however, posting photos of real birds and asking what is wrong won't work.
    So without pictures,,,,
    It sure sounds like from most posters on this forum, the body "tiling" is more important in making a bird (turkey) look good then the paint on the head?
    Which is funny from us that don't do it, because when the boys were here and saw my first, they were more concerned with how the "head" will look comments being "the head makes the bird".
    So while we ate the meat, we looked over the body... back needs to go down further, feet could be brought in closer unless he's running, chest feathers should have been "poofed" more. One wing down, one up ??? action pose?
    {BTW how come ppl don't pose more turkeys in action like positions?} I love the "dance" they do and see none posed like it in taxidermy...
    Now trying the twisted tail, it just looked wrong, but I know I had the front "off" to the back, and when I did get some input on the one "in the works" I was told to "clean it better to get the feathers to lay flat. I wish I hadn't listened.... I laid them down , and had to walk away to help someone and didn't get back to it so now I have to do something else with it.
    BUT, I've learned a whole lot, and the next (which I said I'd not do again) would be a hand wrapped body, so I can "shift it" a bit to do a "dance". I wanted this so bad and a few adjustments I believe I could have done it even with being the first bird. Well.. I take it back... I still need to find the tricks to get the breast to puff more, and I'll be experimenting with other bodies to get it right. I'd love to have tried to stick balloons in that chest to blow him up until the feathers started to dry then pop them! LOL
    Yea I have some screwed up ideas now for sure!
    so how about we forget I posted someone else's' picture and move on to posting some showing what is "wrong" and how to improve it? (Lesson learned!!)

12. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

First of all, it's NOT "somebody else's work". It belongs to YOU know and it's YOURS. If I have a porcelein figurine, a painting, a wiring job, a plumbing job, or anything else that I've paid a price for, I'm well within my rights to ask if I think what I have is worth what I paid for it. Not that this turkey looked bad - in fact it looked better than some I've done- but that doesn't give any of you the right to tell him it's "wrong" to ask about it. Had it looked like a total POS, you guys would have been the first to jump on board with the criticism. We sometimes need to get over ourselves. No work is original. Nothing we do can make it look any better than it did in its prime before it died. Hell, I DON'T and people have no problem criticizing me.

And "raccoon eyes" should be pretty self-explanatory. Too much blue or too stronger of a blue value around the eyes make it raccoon eyed IN MY OPINION.