1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Is a commercially bought sheepskin rug supposed to be salty?

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by Pye, Jun 20, 2015.

1. Pye

Pye Too orangy for crows

I have just bought a sheepskin rug that I have only had for a few days. The first night I had it on my bed I woke up wondering had I spilled something on it at the ends, skin side. Today I inspected it and the skin side is saturated with water at the ends. I noticed my hands are really salty when I've handled it.

Is this normal or should this salt have been rinsed out before it was sold? I can't remember the last time I bought a brand new skin, but I don't ever remember them being salty at all, or soaking up water so easily.

2. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

You've been had. Throw it away.

3. muscle20

muscle20 New Member

It sounds like you have a alum tawed sheep skin , It is not advisable to use a tawed skin as a rug where it may come in contact with moisture, its a fact that salt has a strong affinity for water, so during wet weather or stored in a airless space or a sunless room it can become quite damp. I would advise you to line the skin with a heavy type of felt, as not to damage anything that it comes in contact with or throw it away. Al 2(So4)3 + SH20 = 2Al(0H) S04 + H2S04 In other words the more you subject the skin to moisture, the sulphuric acid will destroy the skin. ( also known as acid rot).

4. Pye

Pye Too orangy for crows

Damn. I checked in the local butchers and they have the same brand. I'd say all of the ones all over Ireland are from the same place. I emailed them and no response (not surprised). I checked the butcher one for saltiness and they're all the same. Never buying sheepskins here again... Such bull because there are so many sheeps here and I can't even get a decent one for me bed. /rant

Thanks a mill for the advice. Is there any way I can rinse out the salt or will that just destroy it? I live in a damp house so the felt isn't going to do much I don't think.

5. Bruce_Rittel

Bruce_Rittel Consultant Services

Do you have a Taxidermy Shop where the skins can be retanned, using A Syntan or Chrome Tanning agent (both are Washable Agents) , rinsed, then oiled and resoftened? If so, you can save a few of the skins for your Bed! Are the skins in good shape - no slips or - siimply salty? If so, simply retan them, but add your Acidic Dye process before the end of the Tanning cycle, take them out - Rinse, Drain and Oil - then hang them as usual - and they should turn out useable!

If you decide to Retan them - let me know! I can give you the formulas for re-tanning using a Syntan (like EZ-100) or Chrome! Send me a PM on here!

Bruce Rittel

6. Pye

Pye Too orangy for crows

No shops like that here I'm afraid. Not that I know of anyway.

Yeah the skin is in good shape, just salty. I wondered had it simply not been rinsed out?

Sent pm. Thanks. =)