1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

How many of you completely dismantle and soak your gloss gun?

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by Cecil, Jun 22, 2015.

1. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

Since going exclusively to an automotive clear coat a few years ago it seems no matter how religiously I clean the gun bu spraying solvent through it and dismantling the parts and wiping them off I have issues if I don't submerge the entire thing minus the nylon parts.

2. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    I do it maybe once a year. I use a cheap gravity feed gun I bought at Menard's, haven't had any issues since I switched from a siphon feed to this gun and I can also spray pretty much all of my clear instead of having some left in the bottom.

3. Kevin Halle

Kevin Halle Well-Known Member

I use a gravity gun from Lowes. I use it all the time. When I'm done I just run some lacquer thinner through it. Works like new with the next glossing. Never had an issue.

4. Same, cheap gravity feed, from Menards though. I've used it to gloss a couple hundred fish and sprayed poly through it onto habitats (almost 2 gallons of poly and probably as much automotive gloss). I just run acetone through it at the end, back flushing and whatnot. Haven't had to disassemble it yet.

5. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

I'll have to check out the gravity guns at Menards. Do you guys have a model number or picture, or link?

I bought an electric sprayer once but the clearcoat just peed out. Works great for putting stain on the log home though.

Also bought a cheap gun from Chinamart once. I got what I paid for. Went into the trash in no time.

6. Clew

Clew Help a child, Build our future

York, SC
    I use a dbl action pashea with my DCU 2002 three part clear coat
    Less waste
    Carl

7. http://www.menards.com/main/tools-hardware/power-tools-accessories/air-compressors-pneumatic-tools-accessories/air-tools/powermate-reg-spray-gun-kit/p-1655231-c-12915.htm

This is the kit we purchased a few years ago; the guns look a little different but the name is the same.

8. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    Yep, outdoorzman that appears to be what I use as well but mine has a red housing.

9. Kevin Halle

Kevin Halle Well-Known Member

Yep.

10. fishmaster

fishmaster Well-Known Member

I use a Binks touch up gun and probably run 6-8 gallons of automotive gloss a year thru it. I don't clean it until I don't have any choice which is usually a year or more. I just rinse with lac thinner, dump that out and put in a couple inch of clean then spray it one time and hang it up. The only thing I do every time is strain the gloss as I pour it into the gun. It only takes one little booger to mess things up.

11. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

Thank you for all the comments and links!

12. JL

JL Taxidermist for 64 years

I use a cheap (don't know the make) what they call a" detail gun" that I buy at the local discount store for $19.00. If I'm in a rush to go hunting or fishing ( big stripers are here now) I just run some Acetone through it and I'm gone. If I'm not going for a while I usually dismantle it and clean the parts individually. If I was to soak it I would certainly not soak any "O" rings or any fiber parts. I haven't had to buy one for two years. No need to buy expensive when cheap will do just fine. I'm frugal....Christo in cheap. JL ;D ;)

13. torka

torka Member

When I worked for a company that made golf clubs, I sprayed the finish in the back of the clubs. We used devilbiss guns with a remote 1/2 gallon pot spraying a 2-part urethane. At the end of the day we sprayed lacquer thinner through the gun and pots and left them with thinner in them over night or over the weekend. Every 2-3 weeks we would completely disassemble them and soak and clean. If we did not do this frequently we would get little bits of dried finish in the fresh sprayed finish. A pain in the butt, but only way we could get a flawless finish. We would replace the packing that the needle went through at this time. We would also soak our pots and replace the Nalgene tube that fed the guns about every other time.