1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Easiest and hardest to mount~

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by clschake, Jun 22, 2015.

1. clschake

clschake New Member

What was your easiest mount?
    What was your hardest mount?

2. If we are just talking about birds Id say hardest hands down a strutting turkey!! Easiest so far was probably a sitting canvasback.

If we are talking about anything hardest hands down a STRUTTING TURKEY lol! Easiest not counting prep work was a skunk. Counting prep work probably a deer.

Everything's hard to get looking right but some basic put together steps are harder on some and easier on others.

I can roll thru a deer from skinning and fleshing to mounting and finishing alot faster than most anything else just because its what I do way more of. Ducks go together fairly quick too. But I spend hours and get lost in trying to make anything look "right"

3. clschake

clschake New Member

Can't wait to see more!

4. Shawn73

Shawn73 Active Member

Never did one but I'm sure a swan is the hardest. But I agree with dogsoldierchick. Turkey hardest. And diver ducks especially the cans are the easiest.

5. Museum Man

Museum Man Well-Known Member

lifesize, full grown ostrich are a lot of work, baby ostrich are a piece of cake

6. Shawn ill find out on the swans soon... I got 2 hanging from the ceiling to do very soon.

Museum man I spit my whiskey!! 8). I mean uh my uhh water... ;D ;D :p

Lol but I'm sure you are absolutely right!

7. Glass eye

Glass eye Active Member

Mourning Dove is the hardest.

Quail are the easiest....IMO

8. byrdman

byrdman Well-Known Member

bufflehead.ruddy easiest duck......upland quail.crow.......as for hardest...woodcock.....fat mallard

9. Shawn73

Shawn73 Active Member

Byrdman I forgot about those late season fat mallards. Your so right. LOL I never did a woodcock. I've been trying to get one to try but not many people hunt them by me.

10. Nancy C

Nancy C Well-Known Member

An ostrich is by far the hardest, hands-down, if they are salt-dried skins from Africa.
    (USA grown, skinned and frozen should be easier, in theory, but I've never had one like that.)

Woodcocks, mourning doves, diamond doves, button quail, extra-fat puddle ducks (teal, mallards, etc): All very difficult.
    Small to medium upland birds and medium or larger songbirds: Pretty easy.

11. byrdman

byrdman Well-Known Member

oh yeah fat little gw teal

12. A bee was the easiest ive ever done.

13. clschake

clschake New Member

A BEE???
    I can't even imagine... too small!

14. I tried a woodcock once. I'm not sure that it even actually had skin. Managed to get the carcass out then laid it in the sink thinking I should rinse it. Turned water on wide open. It disintegrated. Nothing but a pile of bones with feathers everywhere. Swore I'd never touch another.

Ruddy duck (or any diver) have seemed to be the easiest. Very forgiving skin.

15. I hate swans. I've done two & swore both times each one was my last. I'm up enough on price that I might not get anymore & I'm fine with that.

Other than the swans, I struggle with woodducks. Everything from the thin skin to getting the head looking right. I just can't ever get them to look like I want them to.

16. For me, it has to be a woodcock. Then a woodpigeon.

17. clschake

clschake New Member

do swans have thin skins too?

18. oskare

oskare Iceland

no they have thick skins

19. DL

DL Well-Known Member

Tried a fat snipe, Once. Mudhens are easy. I hate large fat Canada Geese. I use a VanDykes flesher and you end up in a fat fog while fleshing. They seem to get caught in the wheel quicker than any other bird I've done. I would have thought they would also have a tougher skin. If you've never wound one up and ended up with a 7 piece IKEA goose you haven't lived.
    The mud hen has little fat and you can turn the head with little effort. Just not much call for mounting mud hens. Funny how the most desired birds to mount(wood duck and mallard) can be trying.

20. Dark Man

Dark Man Active Member

I hate the late season mallards! Just got done wheeling a december bird.give me divers all day long!