1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Antler staining

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by Non-Typical_IL, Jun 24, 2015.

1. Non-Typical_IL

Non-Typical_IL Member

Have been using water based paints to retouch racks for mounting. (Am still improving on cleaning the skull plates without removing all the natural debris and color from the burrs and antler base)
    Is there a stain, am thinking maybe a wood stain, that some use/recommend?
    Midwestern deer, IL, shotgun season. Would like to expand in color inventory.
    Thanks!!!!

2. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    How are you removing the color on racks? Even when simmering skulls I don't lose color in the antlers. Minwax stain will work as will acrylic and oil based paints and that potassium pomegranate.

3. I use Minwax wood stain as well I have classic oak, gunstock, and dark walnut. I start off with the lightest color and work my way up. Put the stain on with a clean rag or wash cloth.the longer you let the stain sit on the antler before wiping it off the darker the color will get. Just keep doing that until you get the color you want. As for the stuff on the skull plate a dremel tool with a grooved metal bit works great

4. KatieC

KatieC Active Member

I've had the best luck staining with potassium permanganate. Get comfortable with it on some practice antlers first.

5. Use the three colors of Minwax mentioned. Exactly the same that I use. Forget the PP. it will leave the antlers way too red and not at all natural looking.

6. KatieC

KatieC Active Member

Not if you do it right. :)

7. verne

verne Well-Known Member

Potassium pomegranate , if spelled right works the best for me , stain is oily ; there is a video on you tube that shows how to use it , its a layer process , This would be on sheds not a repair . ;)

8. Non-Typical_IL

Non-Typical_IL Member

When I simmer, sometimes the skull plate slips into the water. It's cleaning it, not bleaching, but definately lightens the antlers around the burrs. More so than what the rest of the antler is.

9. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

I'm a big fan of KNO3, but for antler burrs only that have been bleached die to boiling or peroxide, I use the water based antler stain kit that McKenzie sells. There are 4 colors in the kit. If you use this product correctly, one kit will last half a lifetime. I place a small amount of each stain on an artist pallette. The stains will dry out between uses, but you can take a wet brush and rub across them and have enough stain to correct the problem of antler burr staining very easily. No stickiness like mineral based stains. Seal with Krylon Matte, and you're done in a jiffy.

[​IMG]