1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Ibex Earliner Options?

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by Rackmastr, Jun 26, 2015.

1. Hey Guys,

Have never mounted an Ibex before and have one coming up in the next year. I have always worked with earliners for all my work, and would like to continue to do so. I've asked around a bit and sounds like most guys that I've talked to use bondo ears for Ibex. Are there any earliner options out there?

I'm willing to work with bondo ears (after some learning on other critters), but obviously like using what I'm really comfortable with, so thought I'd ask.

Thanks.

2. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Regular sheep headliners work well. The Celastic ones are available if you can't find the cheaper poly ones.

3. Thanks George. After thawing the cape last night from the tannery I did figure that sheep earliners would be a close fit as well. Thanks.

4. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    I think I recall an article in Breakthrough where Joe Meder made a custom set of ear liners with bondo and removed them to thin them and add detail. Check it out if you are interested, it may help you.

5. cgsmith

cgsmith New Member

You can make your own easily. Remove the ear cartilage and trace it onto some celastic ear liner and cut it out. Heat it up in hot water or a heat gun to shape. You can also trace onto hardware cloth and cut it out. Place it between two flat boards coated in clear dry silicone, use hot glue on the edges and press the boards together. Remove the top board and fill in the rest with hot glue and press again. You can now shape the ear. This second method requires a little more effort to set up and get the hang of. I would use sheep liners as well and trim to fit.

6. J Kelly

J Kelly Member

Ibex are usually much bigger than sheep ears and the shape is not even close. Sheep have a very round top and ibex come to a point. It also depends on what specie of ibex you have, the Nubian and Persian have a much longer and wider ear than the Mid- Asian. I would take the cartilage off in one piece and trace it on the cellastic and go with that method.

7. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

J Kelly, you made me look. Obviously you're correct. They ARE much bigger that sheep. Must've had a brain fart. Your method is most realistic.