1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Gar Pike question. Looking for a little advice.

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by rockbass33, Jun 27, 2015.

1. I recently took in a customers 45" Gar Pike. This will be a first attempt at this species for me. Is there anything special I need to do when cleaning the head out on this?? I'm sure I will know more when I dig into it. Just looking for any input that might help make things go a little smoother. Thanks

2. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

OK, which is it? Gar and pike are two separate species world's apart.

3. den007

den007 Active Member

I will assume you are talking about a gar, since some folks refer to them as garpike. I have always used the real head, no big deal to clean out…..lots of cartilage inside, but the head is not huge like a pike or musky. You would not want to cast the long "beak" with all its teeth anyways.

4. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

If it's a gar of the northern smaller species (shortnose, longnose, or spotted) vs. an alligator gar it's a very easy fish to skin mount. I've even used fish filler and had good results. On the larger ones I've made a core of scrap foam with fish filler around it.

Very easy to paint too. Cool fish on the wall!

5. Thanks fellas!

6. tellis827

tellis827 Member

I've actually seen far done 2 ways. Clean and preserve the fish, insert a wood block to anchor the hanger or plaque and see the fish between the armor scales. Method 1 Was to pour foam down the throat and let it expand. Method 2 was to use spray foam and spray it through the incision move about 2" and spray again. Both methods can be a little messy but clean up with acetone while its still wet. Cradle it and let the foam cure then card the fins.

7. tellis827

tellis827 Member

Be careful cutting the incision, the scales will be sharp and can cut you.

8. Clew

Clew Help a child, Build our future

York, SC
    I use a cutter blade and then fill with a wood block insert
    Sets up like cement
    Head is easy to clean out
    Easy fish to do

Carl