1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Removing dark stains from Beaver teeth

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by cobweb dweller, Jun 27, 2015.

1. cobweb dweller

cobweb dweller New Member

Been working on a Beaver skull. All is completed except for the stained (smaller sized ) white teeth. I've tried scraping, filing (sanding) and soaking in 3% hydrogen peroxide yet, to no avail. The stains are quite dark, almost blackish. Is there another method that I can try..?

2. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

Pictures? Is it possible that the stains are from something inside the tooth?

3. cobweb dweller

A few days ago I placed all of the extracted Beaver teeth into acetone. They were more greasy than I'd originally thought. The maceration process and soaking in Dawn and water did help, yet nothing like the acetone has accomplished. I'm going to be returning them to the hydrogen peroxide bath this weekend.

4. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

Sometimes, acetone is what is needed. Just be very sure that all the acetone has evaporated completely before you put them into peroxide.

5. cobweb dweller

Sea Wolf, thank you for the advice concerning allowing the acetone to completely evaporate before placing the teeth into the peroxide bath. I'd not thought of that. I've just thoroughly rinsed them off and will let them dry overnight. It's quite warm here, so they'll be ready tomorrow.

6. Soak them longer in Peroxide. I just put a couple Beaver skulls back together and the teeth had been sitting in 2% peroxide for a month. They're almost stupidly white. Honestly I prefer the natural tooth look - the black is just the dentine in the teeth and is just the way it looks in nature.