1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

A big THANK YOU to the Garden State Taxidermy Association! PHOTOS!!!

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by Rick Krane, Jun 28, 2015.

1. 1fish2fish

1fish2fish Well-Known Member

Lots of ways to interpret the crucified lamb. I cannot pretend to know the "artists" intentions. As a social commentary on the ills of what taxidermy represents it is both shocking and ironic. As a religious tribute...well, either way, it is disgusting.
    Best, Scott

2. Rick Krane

Rick Krane Fish Taxidermist/ Judge/ Sculptor/ Instructor

Go figure I thought I was saying thank you to the Association for the opportunity? Maybe another string not to take away from the members who enjoy their show and their association? A thought? We don't have to have an issue with Thank you do we?

Rick Krane

3. PA

PA Well-Known Member

Mr. Krane, I wasn't there but I would postulate that I do think NJ is very thankful that you make the trek to that convention and give of your time helping them out. It is not surprising that a discussion ensued regarding Rogue Taxidermy since you posted pictures on your Facebook page. While the artform started in Minnesota, I am not sure that the division has been in a traditional taxidermy convention prior to this last week. They would hold their own conventions in various cities with venues I and others would probably not attend.

Quite a number of "Rogue" type taxidermists did attend the World Show from the New York/New Jersey area, different from the group of ten ladies from LA which are much more traditional museum oriented taxidermists. However, the "Rogue" taxidermists entered traditional mounts for judging. I wasn't there, but saw on various Facebook posting pieces that were submitted.

I am curious if the rogue taxidermists might now be doing more traditional taxidermy and at the same time "traditional" taxidermists thinking about rogue type mounts - if even just a slight nudge in that direction.

Mounting rats and mice and domestic bunnies allows specimens to be sold generally across state lines. Without dressing them up or making then weird colors, there would probably be no market - or the market would be saturated. People like collecting taxidermy or mounted animals so Rogue fills a niche that exists at present. However, I think they may be saturating the market before long. They offer these classes in many larger cities and those that take the classes, after a year or so may begin to offer there own classes, and eventually the market will fall off. The Rogue people may be noticing that, and learning traditional taxidermy hoping to make money doing that. Unfortunately, the number of taxidermists making a good living are really few and far in between. I suppose I should quantify that last statement - my view of a taxidermist who is doing good is one with a net income (after all expenses, shop costs, insurance, and other business expenses) is at least $40,000, not counting at least 10,000 put into IRA's or other retirement accounts. By the age of 60, a taxidermist who makes that kind of money should have a portfolio of at least 1 million dollars in the bank and will be able to scale back when the arthritis and age starts hitting and he can no longer put the hours in the make a good living.

As a last comment here, I don't know why people hate rogue taxidermy. It isn't my cup of tea, and I think it disrespects the animals used, but to each his own. The Rogue people really liked how New Jersey opened up their minds and hearts to them as evident in this excerpted Facebook posting:

this little pin tailed whydah got a Best in Category and a Best in Show for the Rogue division of the GSTA show and competition, judged by the legendary @georgedante and @abeanpie. I'm beyond elated!!!! I almost didn't bring him to the show. ...This is the bird I posted a while back that had missing feathers on his head, but I patched it to turn him into a showy little fantasy creature. After working in senior positions in the fashion industry, it is so incredible to see how different the taxidermy world is. Legendary talents judge your work and not only give you valuable advice and push you to become better, but they do it with a smile and warmth that makes you feel like family. It is so amazing that John Bollman and the rest of the GSTA included Rogues in their competition and brought these two communities together in their mutual love of wildlife. ...

4. 1fish2fish

It's not the thank you Rick. I think that is understood and appreciated. I can also see it would be preferable for the subjunctive discussion to continue elsewhere, disconnected from your good intended message. The comments follow review of pictures on your Facebook page, shared on this post, so I see the connection, and felt it fitting to comment on the one entry. If it doesn't bother others, that is great. To me it isn't emotionally or logically an overreaction to write what I did.
    Best, Scott

5. eBinard

eBinard New Member

I had a great time, met great people, and learned an amazing amount of techniques and info that was new to me. Huge thanks to the GSTA for including the rogue division, and huge thanks to the competitors and judges who welcomed us and treated us with openness and respect. I'm looking forward to bringing entries in both divisions again next year, and hopefully we can help drum up more attendees, vendors, and donors too. We are thrilled to be included and happy to help! bring on the jello shots...

6. AJM WILDLIFE DESIGN

AJM WILDLIFE DESIGN New Member

And then some!!!! LOL! Like I said next year will be even better. The Friday pool party that spills over into the middle of the night is always classic but this year was so much better and i accredit that to the Rogue peeps for that one!! Boy can they party LOL

7. Rick Krane

Rick Krane Fish Taxidermist/ Judge/ Sculptor/ Instructor

It has become what we are a post about art and artists alike! Taxidermy is controversial to many and so is any form of expressive creation for that matter. I'm glad at some level what we have here is a look at what share. Be it the GSTA or any other association that puts out taxidermy for display we all take a risk that anti's could come to our shows and make trouble as they did back in the 80's. When I look at taxidermy or taxidermist for that matter that are developing their skill sets but have not reached a level where a score sheet or the opinion of a judge would dean this as "GOOD" work then we encourage them and share what we can as fellow artist to do more! It takes courage, real courage to show your work and even more so to show it to peers where all can be judged. Truly what ever stores you or moves you take that as inspiration and look upon the work of others as an opportunity to see something in the work of others.
    Be kind to one another as it is we all begging some where and where it takes us is not yet known. That is the development of all Artists!

Rick Krane

8. Carolin Brak-Dolny

Carolin Brak-Dolny Active Member

Happy Independence day(tomorrow) to all my American Friends

I think it is wonderful that the Garden State asked/allowed the rogues to join and show their work. I have seen some beautiful rogue work on the web. If we are talking about the lamb on the cross ...only the artist knows what he/she was trying to depict. To some it is blasphemy, for some it is truly portraying the Christian religion , for others it is an animal skin hung on painted plywood.

It sure has us talking so my guess is that is what the artist wanted to happen.

I think the artist had a lot of courage to enter it.

At the world show I really enjoyed talking with the "California girls" they sure brought some new life into the old stodgy taxidermists.

It's time to think out of the box.

9. All I know is I stopped in on one of the rogue seminars and they were wrapping their own life size forms with wood wool. seems like taxidermy to me. ditto to what Michael P. said

10. gobbl4me

gobbl4me New Member

I just wanted to say THANK YOU to the BOD , THE JUDGES, and everyone that did a seminar. It was a great time, as usual. I missed seeing Paul there, always enjoy seeing his mounts. Everyone did a fantastic job! How many times have any of you had someone see a mount that you have done and say, thats gross or thats disgusting? "Usually a girlfriend or wife of a client". They dont care to see taxidermy or a mounted animal, just because they dont know anything about it. I honestly dont care to hear it . Eveyone has an opinion and thats fine. Some people are not very open minded. If you compete and want to learn, you better be open minded. The rogue crew were very nice and a pleasure to be with. I look forward to seeing everyone next year! Bill D

11. 1fish2fish

In this case I am a taxidermist, and the crucified lamb is disrespectful and I feel disgusting. You may enjoy it personally, your cup of open-minded tea, eh? But if you cannot objectively understand it's offensive nature, now that isn't open minded.

12. eBinard

eBinard New Member

One thing I know from being in art school all the way up to the masters degree level, confident artists don't talk trash about other people's work. If you feel the need to bash someone else's artwork, it is probably because you know something is lacking in your own. Period.

13. 1fish2fish

What is lacking in this instance is respect, period.

14. Looks like it was a wonderful show with a great line of judges.