1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

OK, Stop Rot users, answer me this

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by George, Jun 28, 2015.

1. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Let's just assume that I ordered a bottle of Stop Rot and decided, against the directions to pour it into a spray bottle I had in the cabinet. I set it aside so I wouldn't confuse it. At the same time, I filled a another spray bottle with water to use in cleaning up and during mounting. In a rush, I sat that bottle in the same cabinet with the bottle of Stop Rot. Neither bottle was marked. Now just how do I tell which one is which. And before you answer, be careful.

Obviously both bottles are colorless.
    I smelled the bottles; both are odorless
    I tasted them; both are tasteless
    I checked the pH; both are 7.0 neutral

Any other bright ideas would be appreciated. And before some genius tells me to mark the bottles, that's already on the list.

2. Bill Yox

Bill Yox Well-Known Member

Spray some on a raw skin. I always felt that it had a bit of a thickness to it, unlike water, and a slippery feel ON A RAW SKIN. Thats the best I got, my friend.

3. boarhunter67

boarhunter67 Well-Known Member

My stoprot usually develops an odor and has a little mold spots that grow in the bottle.

4. JEJ

JEJ Active Member

PA
    Like Bill said. I also notice if I have a raw skin with some blood on in, or even just "stained" from blood when I spray it with stop rot I can see the chemical reaction taking place and also turns it a purple hue.

5. finazducks

finazducks EJ is not the only one to have two Wasco Awards

I don't know, but when you find out "mark the bottle"

6. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    My question to you is, why pour it into another spray bottle? Take the top off and switch the sprayer. Stop Rot has a different feel to it than water, especially on a raw skin.

7. hodx

hodx Herman Darr

George please label your bottles,from now on

8. KatieC

KatieC Active Member

Get a scrap skin that's slipping, and see which one saves it. ;)

9. dhart

dhart Active Member

I would dump both and start over! But, I throw money away all the time!

10. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Katie, that doesn't work. Even Stop Rot won't stop a hide from slipping if it's already begun.

OH, and the switching bottles. All bottles aren't created equal. Those "industrial packs" you buy at Sam's Club don't seem to have the exact same thread pattern as "Made in the USA' bottles do. So the sprayer may or may NOT fit the bottle you're using. Though the one I had screwed on tight, when you pulled even slightly on the bottle, the battle would disengage and drop free. I lost a quarter of a bottle when that little trick last happened to me. Since then, I save my Windex sprayers to use on the good bottles.

11. I can definitely feel it on my hands as it dries. It even makes my rubber gloves feel different if I'm using them with it. Hard to describe-- kind of a weird tacky feeling that makes me want to wash my hands.

12. tem

tem Well-Known Member

George. please tell me you didn't really taste it. did you :eek:.

13. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

I think that if you can put Listerine in your mouth you could do the same with Stop Rot. I seem to remember that George puts it on cuts, so why not in your mouth?

14. This might sound strange but how about if you used a UV light George.spray the bench or something else you might get lucky with this option.

15. cyclone

cyclone Posts: 400001

Put a little from both in the freezer, George. Water will freeze first..

16. tazzymoto

tazzymoto Active Member

Spray a little on your fingers and rub them together, The stop-rot is slippery. The water is not

17. tazzymoto

tazzymoto Active Member

Spray a little on your fingers and rub them together, The stop-rot is slippery. The water is not

18. KatieC

KatieC Active Member

I had a roadkill fawn that stopped slipping after I applied Stop Rot, so I'd have to question that. But, assuming it's true, then get scrap skins that aren't slipping, test some from each bottle on each skin, let the skins sit out, and see what spoils.

19. Allie

Allie Active Member

As you can't fix stupid, you should probably slit both wrists. Spray one bottle on one wrist and one on the other (be sure to label both bottles AND wrists accordingly!). Whichever cut heals first is probably Stop Rot. It's best to perform this test in the bathtub.

20. Duckslayr

Duckslayr Active Member

Ahhh look....George made a new friend.