1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

brook trout skin lifting

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by Off the Hook, Jun 29, 2015.

1. Hello all I need your help. Hopefully. I skin mounted a brook trout a couple weeks ago and its been drying. I started looking at it today and doing some finish work and I noticed that there is a spot on the side of the mount that is lifted from the form. I dont know why but I decided not to use a glue or hide paste and well... now I know why I should have.lol. Is this fixable? Or will it be ok? Its tight to the form everywhere else except the one spot. Its on the show side, midway between the back and belly and its about the size of a 50 cent piece.

2. nokes

nokes New Member

I've injected paste underneath the loose skin and pinned it with carding before with success. The paste will help soften the skin a little bit to help it lay down better. I've had to babysit it to make sure it stays smooth as it dries

3. Thank you nokes that makes me feel better. I was worried. Can I ask what kind of paste you used when you did that? Would caulking work??

4. slater56

slater56 Member

I would think that seeing that there is no glue holding the skin down once you start injecting glue into it the skin will continue to lift. I would soak the whole fish and start over using glue. JMO

5. M.T.

M.T. Active Member

The reason it did that is probably humidity. Years ago I had that happen several times till I figured out what u had to do to prevent it. If you carved your own body it could be because there was somewhat of s flat spot in the body. When carving bodies for trout, it helps to not have any low spots or flat spots in the body. When ordering bodies you must also check that. I'm afraid to say that injecting glue into that spot will work somewhat but you will still be able to see the spot. Your best bet is to put a hair dryer on it and put it in a cardboard box with one end open. Turn the hairdryer on and make sure the warm or hot air is nor directly on the fish itself. Nine out of ten times the spot will go down and then while the fish is still warm spray it with a clear coat of krypton or rustoleum. Hit it a few times. Makes sure you hit every part of the skin. The back side included. This will normally take care of the problem. Next time use loctite. Power grab.

6. M.T.

M.T. Active Member

I meant krylon.

7. Thanks mt I will try that. I will post back my results.

8. After looking at it close I see that when I mounted the skin, it (skin)is stretched so tight around the form I carved its causing the skin in that spot to lift. I guess I ill have to try squirting some glue in there somehow like nokes said and try to pin it down with cardboard or something. Im nervous about doing it :-\ oh well, I guess I kinda deserve it lol. Wish me luck

9. Clew

Clew Help a child, Build our future

York, SC
    Mckeinzie
    Just came out with a epoxy paste, I tried it and it worked well
    Seems a little like sand in it but worked great on my bass

Carl

10. I will have to look into that clew thanks. I picked up a coupledifferent sized syringes.I was thinking of maybe mixing elmers glue with a little water to thin it so it could be pushed through the syringe and into the skin. If that dont work I will have to try that stuff your talking about. Do you guys think elmers would be strong enough of a glue?

11. M.T.

M.T. Active Member

I'm thinking if you did what I told you to do it would take care of it.

12. Ok, I will try that first