1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Skinning thin skin

Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by ofearthandbone, Jun 30, 2015.

1. ofearthandbone

ofearthandbone New Member

I will be skinning a day old goat tonight. I hear the skin is very thin. To avoid a ton of sewing I'd like to pull as much skin off without skinning the whole way.
    Is this a bad idea? Tears easy? Any tip on pulling off skin without tearing? I will be skinning on a table not hanging.
    Thanks

2. Paul B

Paul B Active Member

Since your working on a table you won't be pulling the skin off as the goat will move with your pull. You may be able to just use your hand under the skin to separate skin from body. just use a duller knife to help skin if it gets to where you need a tool.

3. ofearthandbone

ofearthandbone New Member

I did it last night and it went PERFECT! I barely used the knife. I didn't pull but moved my thumb under and pulled a little as I went. No nicks!

4. twinrivers

twinrivers Active Member

I know this post is over but you reminded me of something I witnessed in Iraq at a market. There was an old shepherd that was skinning a goat to process and sell the meat. He poked a tube in between the skin and meat after he killed the goat and started blowing air into it. The skin immediately detached itself from the meat and he skinned it afterwards. Took him about 15 minutes. I thought about trying that with an air compressor and a blow gun to see if I can replicate it. It was slicker than he'll watching him do that over there though. Wouldn't you know a year later I was back in the States and in taxidermy school.