1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Otter

Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by giveem3 steve, Jul 1, 2015.

1. giveem3 steve

giveem3 steve Member

I have a question for all you guys that do a lot of mammals. I am primarily a bird taxidermist but I have an otter to do for myself and would like to do it for a competition mount and am just wondering would you guys use hollow bubble eyes or do they make a better eye for otters to use for competition? Any advise would be appreciated.

Thanks

2. rogerswildlife

rogerswildlife Rogers Wildlife Taxidermy Tommy Rogers

I wouldn't use a hollow bubble eye for competition. Allways use a good quality eye for a comp mount . The judges will be looking for pupil alignment .
    Tommy

3. giveem3 steve

giveem3 steve Member

What eyes would you recommend?

4. dave selenke

dave selenke Member

I have competed with an otter an was told by a judge the bubble eye was fine

5. rogerswildlife

rogerswildlife Rogers Wildlife Taxidermy Tommy Rogers

Any quality mammal eye in a dark brown . If you competing in professional division I would highly recommend NOT using a hollow bubble eye ever in a competition and if a judge says it's OK to use them I would have to be asking the association that payed that judge to reconsider ever using them again for a judge because they are not teaching you nothing if the say that's OK .All otters have pupils so use a eye that has them if you don't then your not recreating that animal the way it's supposed to be done .

6. giveem3 steve

giveem3 steve Member

Thanks for the replies.

7. hounddog

hounddog New Member

You can use a 13mm turkey eye or similar eye and it works well. I have also used the bubble eyes and they look great.