1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

anyone ever use oxi-clean?

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by byrdman, Jul 5, 2015.

1. byrdman

byrdman Well-Known Member

had a nature cleaned bear skull ..put in the dawn de-greaser for 6 months and while I was getting a grease "ring" on top of the water..the skull was still dirty brown looking////so was going to rinse and dry it and see if I could bleach it...well I tossed a scoop of a product called oxi-clean in the rinse water and 6 hours later it was off white and very clean....I didn't want to over do it so quick took it out and put in a clear water soak...wanted to check here and see before going any further.

2. cyclone

cyclone Posts: 400001

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sodium_percarbonate

3. byrdman

ok interesting....but does anyone use it on skulls? will it do damage like hi-lex or Clorox?

4. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

Have to be careful as there are two that are similar in name and one has been found to do some damage. I don't use either to be honest. It would be just as easy and safer for the skull to do a peroxide soak for a day. It won't hurt the bone nor will it affect the degreasing process. You can also chug in some straight ammonia into your Dawn and see if it helps the grease out of the pig. Also make sure you fish out the chunks of crap hiding inside the lower jaw bones.

I think Cyclones post was to show that it becomes peroxide and soda in water. I think the damage from soda (sal soda/soda ash/washing soda) is when combined with the heat of simmering. As long as your heat is the low 115 to 120 I don't think the soda will damage the bone but I would not trust it to a long soak. I think what whitened it up was the peroxide it formed.

5. byrdman

have 1 quart of 3% peroxide mixed with 2 gals water....how long can it soak in this.....or is it too weak a solution to do anything?

6. Sea Wolf

That is a really weak dilution and I'm not sure if it would have much effect at all. If you are going to use 3%, don't dilute it. It's already pretty weak as it is. I use the 40 VOL clear hair stuff (12%) and the 27% pool stuff and I use them both straight with no diluting. I keep the peroxide in a covered bucket and it will last for many skulls through it.

With that dilution you could let a skull sit in there for a very long time. But the stronger stuff will whiten it a lot faster and still do no damage to the bone. The only issues I have ever seen with peroxide were skulls of extremely young animals where the bone is very fragile and one skull that I forgot and it sat in strong peroxide for about two months. The bone was fine but it damaged the enamel on the teeth.

7. NVduck

NVduck New Member

I have had a piece of vertebrate sitting in straight 3% for 6 months now with no visible change.

8. Sea Wolf

After 6 months, the peroxide has probably broken down and is too weak to do anything. Try the 40 VOL clear from a beauty supply store like Sally's. If any change is to be seen it will be within an hour. If not, the stains you are seeing will be either grease or mineral stains from the ground and environment.

9. Did your skull chalky up after you had it in the oxi? Have been told that year or more later skull will get chalky. Was wondering if you noticed anything like that. Also did you put the oxi in with cold, warm or hot water?

10. Sea Wolf

You have to be careful because there is an OxI clean and an OxY clean. One is ok, the other is very bad. It is more cost effective to just use peroxide to whiten which is what the powder additive breaks down into.

You can easily use the Search function on here to look for posts that talk about Oxyclean and Oxiclean.

11. I am wanting something to degrease better, less changes and having to heat water so warm. I use Beatles to clean and dont like that 100 degrees of temp or more and skull starts to allow shrinkage, cracking, splitting.
    Trying to find something that takes grease off and in skulls better

12. Sea Wolf

Water temp of 115 to 120 isn't cracking or shrinking your skulls. And changes of detergent water are not frequent unless it is full of grease and filthy. The shrinkage and drying out is possibly because of the length of time left in the beetles. How long are you leaving skulls in with the bugs to get them clean? The temp in your bug tank should be close to 80 degrees .. not over. Folks on here have skulls in detergent water for 2 months and more without damage. You have to use heated water or you are not going to remove the grease.

13. Paskullls

Paskullls New Member

Is anyone using a slow cooker to clean skulls

14. Sea Wolf

Bad Idea. The low temp is still boiling and will damage the bone. Cookers are made for making soup and they do that very well.
    This thread was about Oxi clean vs Oxy clean but, if you make a post about using crock pots to clean bone you might get some responses. You can also use the Search function as there are posts on here already from people trying this.