1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Fluffing bird feathers.

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by Primetines, Jul 6, 2015.

1. mallard1

mallard1 New Member

A tumbler would not help him until he is able to arrive at a clean skin. Many, many of us do NOT use a tumbler and have posted reasons why (particularly when learning) and advise not to. A box or bag with choice of medium works just fine. Just as many do not use a flammable solvent, and many do.

2. AFTHUNT

AFTHUNT Active Member

Sent you a PM

3. R.J. Meyer II

R.J. Meyer II Member

THANK GOD someone stepped up and said it.! I went to bed last night thinking since no one else will say it I will post today. The bird is crap.....why you would even take in customer work is a mystery to me. Why a customer would leave a bird to you is a even greater mystery to me. When I decided I wanted to learn to mount birds I bought videos, payed $500.00 per day for lessons (Frank Newmyer) went to shows and seminars. Due to that I put out a nice commercial quality bird to my clients. The point is if your going to do something, learn all you can and do it right. OK I feel better now......................................

4. tomdes

tomdes Me my dear and Fall BAZZ!!!

Well said RJ..

5. finazducks

finazducks EJ is not the only one to have two Wasco Awards

You have to love this Shark feeding frenzy mentality. It took one guy (Pete Pec) to nicely tell the poor guy, and the frenzy was on. The rest of you sat back and waited for someone to attack and bam you hit the poor guy right in the gut. You should be asshamed of yourselves.

6. I agree Tony. I apologized privately to one of the members with regret that I even posted it. It's certainly not my nature. My only real reason for posting, is because no one wanted to tell the hard truth. I am a giver. A complete giver. I have shared everything I know to so many like me (beginners) that I simply wanted to share advice. Simply because I started it, I apologize. My intent was to give the real feedback necessary to improve. If there is a customer willing to part with their money, that departure of money is actually on them. Education is a two way street. We all see the posts of a less than stellar mount, followed by "looks great"...."best mount ever"...."I have a bird in the freezer, where are you located?".

These are the potential clients who haven't invested the time to become educated. Many simply shop based on price, sight unseen. With that said, there is some inherited investment that needs to be made, before assuming the position of a taxidermist in the business. I have been a hack for a long time. Because of my hesitation to take lessons (until recently), I lacked the skill set to take clients. Sure, those same uneducated clients asked me, but I wasn't ready. Still not ready to be honest, because I still need to learn.

The original poster made the first move. He asked. He got feedback. My only thought, was simply, get more educated. That might mean bite the bullet, and take some training from a good teacher. I spent 14 days with Eugene Streekstra in May. Learned more in two days, than I did in all my previous years trying to figure this crap out on my own. I'm still craving more. I cried a bit when I left Montana, because I was there...still learning, and I had to leave. It sucked! I am counting down the days to get back out there, and learn more, from an incredibly gifted teacher.

With all that said, he will tell you, just like anyone who understands, that they can teach you every technical aspect, but you've got to understand birds. You've got to understand anatomy. You've got to have some talent. You've got to practice. You've got to repeat. You've got to do yourself justice as well as a client, by being ready. I'm not ready, and clients will wait. You cannot take back what leaves your shop. Your name is on it....FOREVER!

So, to the original poster. I wanted to give you tough love because your not ready, not because I'm a jerk. I'm not a jerk!

If you have any questions I will gladly share what I know....remember, I'm still not ready though! ;-)

7. finazducks

Pete your advise was well given, and you were nice about it. Others just dove in trying to get their pound of flesh. I believe in helping others to learn. There is a right way and a wrong way to do it. When I went to my first competition a judge was very hard on me I deserved it because I didn't know what competition work was all about. I did think he could have been nice about it, but he wasn't. I stayed away for eight years with no real help till I went back . That's not what education is all about. Let's help the right way. I think you did Pete

8. R.J. Meyer II

R.J. Meyer II Member

I think there is a big difference between a feeding frenzy and being honest with someone about the reality of the situation. If the guy has enough stones to post a picture and ask a question I think he deserves an honest answer. I guess I feel if you cant even degrease and wash a bird ( lots of tutorials on here and in videos and books) you have no right to take in peoples trophies and return a substandard mount.
    Question: which part of the answer posts do people here feel were a punch in the gut or unwarranted? I think most were kind.

9. I've never touched a tumbler and I know a lot of people a heck of a lot better than me that don't tumble. That money would be better invested in lessons.

For what it's worth, Pete, I think you were very kind in your remark. I know I waited until I had feedback from some bird guys I looked up to that I was ready to take on customers before I opened up shop... That being said I see some of my mounts from a couple years ago and wish I had them back. I'll probably think the same next year about this years work ::)

To the OP, keep practicing but don't keep making the same mistakes or you aren't doing yourself any favors. good luck!

10. mallard1

mallard1 New Member

Agreed.

I would be interested in what DVD(s) Prime Tines Taxidermy studied.

11. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

I don't know if Tony read my whole post. Several times I stated that I was posting "without malice" in concern for the OP and that I only wanted him to learn from my experience and that I wanted him to become "a kick ass taxidermist". Now if that is unkind, I guess I need to learn to not want to help someone out. Having said that, Tony is RIGHT in that the OP didn't ask if he was ready to take on customers. Every post on taking on customers, including Pete-pecs could have been done with PMs. Pete-pec realized this and apologized. I will not apologize for what I said as I feel that it was right to say something to him, however, I will apologize for saying it here instead of in a PM. Especially when I didn't offer any advice on his question.

12. Like Tony said, there's a right way and a wrong way to help. This is the wrong way.... It's kind of like punching someone in the gut.

13. R.J. Meyer II

R.J. Meyer II Member

"It's kind of like punching someone in the gut." Imagine how the customers must feel.......................................... w

14. finazducks

Get over it RJ. What you said was more than a little harsh.

15. R.J. Meyer II

R.J. Meyer II Member

Tony, I don't know why this particular post is bugging you. As a judge I am guessing you wouldn't have even given an honorable mention. If the guy would have said hey I'm learning to do birds for myself that would have been an easy pass. The fact that he owns a studio and is apparently passing along these mounts to his customers calls for some "harsh" reality. I did not slam him or his talent. I just stated the oblivious. The bird is crap. There is no way around that. The fact that he felt all it needed was "fluffing" should have caused many other, perhaps gentler bird guys to chime in. Like George I prefer to cut to the chase. Sorry this offends some. I respect you greatly and do not care to argue this with you. Perhaps I should have just said nothing.

16. finazducks

That bird wouldn't score a ribbon if I was judging it. I prefer to help him understand why and let him worry about what he gives his customers. We all started somewhere. That's all I'm saying. I don't think I've ever told someone their work is CRAP. This is the last I'll say about it.