1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Which Gel Coat?

Discussion in 'Molding and Casting' started by Rob43, Jul 6, 2015.

1. Rob43

Rob43 Member

Trying to learn how to cast fish. Which gel coat do you use for this?

2. Steve.J

Steve.J Member

You can use a 50/50 mix of Bondo and Polyester Resin as a detail coat. Use both hardeners - cream hardener for the Bondo and the MEKP for the resin. You can get the cream hardener in white that leaves the final blank a neutral gray. Be sure not to add to much - about 10 drops of MEKP per ounce of resin will do and about a dollop of cream per ounce of Bondo.
    Too much hardener and the Bondo will stay rubbery and not cure, too little and it will just not cure.

While your first coat is still tacky to the touch you can add a second coat of the mix with fiberglass chop for added strength.

3. Rob43

Rob43 Member

Thanks for the reply. I will be using this method to make the actual mold of the fish, but the Gel Coat will be used to actually cast the fish body. I saw Josh Knuth do this, but the bedding material and type of Gel Coat was never revealed in the video. I appreciate your help

Thanks

4. Steve.J

Steve.J Member

You can still use 50/50 Bondo and resin to cast your fish. It works well. A Gel Coat is just a thickened polyester resin with a pigment added - white in the case of Josh's video. The 50/50 Bondo resin mix is a thickened polyester resin.

It is very important to let your Bondo mold cure for a few days before casting from it. Make sure you wax it really well with a couple coats of paste wax, buffing in between coats. Let it sit for a few days to fully cure or your cast will permanent stick to it and ruin the mold.

5. Rob43

Rob43 Member

Thanks for your help!