1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

What Do Hide Buffers Do?

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by Andrew M, Jul 7, 2015.

1. What does a hide buffer do? Sand it? Finish it?

2. Bruce_Rittel

Bruce_Rittel Consultant Services

Buffing a skin is the same as Sanding it to get rid of any hangers from fleshing the skin and make it smooth. It also somewhat contributes to making the skin softer and cleaner looking. There are 2 types of Buffing Machines. One is an Overshot Buffer(usually used only on the flat area of a skin) - and there is also a Undershot Buffer (usually the operator does detail buffing on places like the facial and leg areas). An Overshot Buffer is simply a Drum Sander with the Drum peeking out the top of a table (usually 1/3 of it). An Undershot Buffer usually has the Drum Sander located on front of the table so the operator can use his hands to guide the sanding of the detailed areas on the Drum.

3. ljones

ljones 1994 wasco award winner

What grit sand paper to buffers usually have ?

4. Bruce_Rittel

I have to "jog" my memory here - but I think it was 110 grit for Foxes, 90 - 100 for Whitetails and the heavier stuff we could go all the way down to 48 grit, if needed. Keep in mind, we also had to work with rolls of Sandpaper. so we could reline the Sandpaper by wrapping it around the Sandpaper Drum (usually 12" long by 10" wide), then cinching it down in a Slot (both ends).

5. Guttbag22

Guttbag22 Active Member

Where do you find the sanding drums

6. Bruce_Rittel

You have to purchase the Buffers (Overshot or Undershot) from a Supplier, or in my case - a Consultant. And have them shipped to your Shop. Those Buffers have to be custom made, machined, balanced, and made just right to maintain a minimum of vibration. I have a person who makes them (either model) - they sell at $3495.00 (either one) and weigh 300# for shipping purposes.They are shipped Freight COD to the customer. But the guy is honest and Warrantees the equipment for 1 year. He'll repair or replace any damaged or inoperable unit. The Drums are part of the assembly.

7. buy a black and decker sander not the orbital one hope you didn't spend the three grand already lol