1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Selling deer hides

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by steve leech, Jul 9, 2015.

1. Ok, so we opened a new processing facility last year, and I just got a call from game management at the community I live in
    First off let me explain , our community is like a sanctuary , no hunting etc... They cull off about 400 deer per year here
    They have been taking them 5 hours south to be processed at a rate of $25 per deer, (ground meat only)
    They have asked me to do it, so what I'm asking is is there a place I can sell the hides? Trying to make this feasible
    Any comments or critiques are welcome

2. ANDY

ANDY Well-Known Member

Ohio
    Are you talking full hides or capes? Around here the processing plants have a guy that comes around at the end of every season and
    buys the full hides. Also contact your local fur dealer he can propably tell you who buys them.

3. Summer capes will sell and even velvet antlers. Mater of fact I would think for the competition deerhead guys nice summer cape and velvet antlers will sell at premium prices.

4. ANDY

ANDY Well-Known Member

Ohio
    I would ask game management if your allowed to keep the antlers. Here with the damage permits they hand out to farmers during the summer,
    the antlers are suppost to be turned in to them and they destroy them all.

5. Well I know where to sell capes, lol
    But not the full hide
    If anyone knows or has a number it would be greatly appreciated
    I've called my tannery and they'll buy 30 or 40
    But that's a small number