1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Tone Down Trans Blue?

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by Jon S, Jul 10, 2015.

1. Jon S

Jon S Well-Known Member

I'm working on painting a shellcracker. I sprayed some Transparent Blue on the side of the fish as a tie in at the lateral line and also I thought would help out the silver a bit on the lower side. As you probably have guessed, now the fish is looking too blue. Can I tone it down somehow? I silver tipped over top of it, which may help when I gloss it, don't know. I tried spraying some orange over the blue on the back side, but it turned it more of a violet color. I was thinking of spraying some gold toner over it.

2. Steve.J

Steve.J Member

Try misting some white over it.

3. Jon S

Jon S Well-Known Member

I'm afraid I'll end up with baby blue. That trans blue is near impossible to cover.

4. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

You need to seal it with a good coat of zinsser shellac hence it's a sealer to stop the bleed through caused by the transparent color. Then you can lay colors over it to hide it other wise it will always come through.

5. FishArt

FishArt Well-Known Member

Water-based? It could be a simple fix or it might be too late if the paint is too dry or lacquer-based. But, you can try wadding up a paper towel and spray a mixture of half water and half Windex on the paper towel. Test on back side if possible and then try wiping the paint off on the front side. I make mistakes all the time and you can pull off a fair amount of paint w/o affecting the underlying layer if you go easy. Or, if you've done a lacquer-based sealer coat in-between even better. I've even gone up to straight Windex but again Windex can eat your paint, go easy.

Plan B would be Frank's method IMO...

6. Brian W

Brian W Well-Known Member

You might get to the point you are applying too much paint with the steps you described. Depending on how far you are with the details, might just lacquer wipe and start over since it's a fairly small fish...........

7. NOAH@aarrkk

[email protected] Active Member

GA
    You could possibly spray yellow(transparent ?) over it to join blue and yellow to make green..............just an idea.

8. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

How about very fine steel wool?

9. FishArt

Yep another method I had forgotten about! Good point Cecil! It will give a slightly different effect though - pulling off some of all of the paint and not necessarily just the top layer(s) like Windex will do a little easier. Both methods have their pluses and minuses depending on what you wish the outcome to be. If you're careful with the steel wool it can be done as well!

10. Jon S

Jon S Well-Known Member

It is water based paint, I will give these ideas a try. Thanks for the replies.

11. Jon S

Jon S Well-Known Member

Thanks FishArt. A Q tip and a little windex worked wonders.

12. FishArt

You're welcome! The only reason I know that is I make a LOT of mistakes when painting. So, I have lots of Windex and Q-tips on hand - lol! Glad it worked out for you...