1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Kemsol Degreaser How much and for how Long?

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by Cecil, Jul 10, 2015.

1. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

I usually degrease my salmonid skins with mineral spirits but the bucket is low and the damn stuff keeps going up in price.

Found some Kemsol degreaser on the shop shelf and thought I could give it a shot vs. paying a small fortune at the local Ace for 3 gallons of paint thinner.

Anyway drections say 2 to 20 parts per water "depending on degreasing needs" which of course is quite a range.

What ratio would you suggest for a 40 lb. Alaskan laker, a 10 lb. Lake Michigan laker and a 30 lb. Lake Michigan fall chinnok?

And what would be a safe duration of soak?

I want this to work well but don't want to cone back to dissolved skins. Not trying to be cheap but if i have it, I might as well use if it works well.

The biggest laker will not only get an artificial head but artificial fins.

Anybody use the Kemsol and really like it?

2. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

Cecil I'm for one not being a big fan of all this talk about degreasing fish. Now it may be that I remove all the fins and replace them with artificial ones or that I remove any bones and rebuild them. I find very little grease in them after that. What's in the skin I may soak for 20 minutes and then it goes into my zinc sulfate soak generally over night cause I'm carving a body and casting the head.
    My fish do dry over my furnace and I don't see oils coming out like I've seen and heard on other folks. Not sure that makes a difference but surely it does.
    As for a degreaser try pro-1 or tru-bonds their much better.

3. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

Thanks Frank. I've heard that before but too much of a chicken to skip the degreasing. Set in my ways I guess. No doubt you're right, as if anyone woukd know it would be you doing so many coldwater fish and so well.

And I too remove all the bones, use cast heads, and also fins on the big lakers. And I also scrape with a fresh scalpel blade to remove everything from fat to connective tissue. When I'm done it's clean enough to eat off.

Not going to take a chance on the Kemsol since I'm not experienced with it. Going to make a trip to the hardware store and get soaked for at least two gallons of paint thinner as I don't have time to order what you recommended.

It must do something as I end up with some greasy fat in the bottom of the bucket.

4. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

Just bought 2 gallons of mineral spirits at Ace. $16.99 a gallon! I remember when it was about $8.00 per gallon not long ago.

5. Your fortunate, it would cost many times more than that in this neck of the woods. ;)

6. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

That's sad.

7. It is sad , from what I see you guys really have got it good re prices. Taxidermy products are mostly at your finger tips ( or not too far away ) and very reasonably priced. We pay through the nose here for that stuff if its available , if I order direct from your side then the exchange n costly airfreight makes it hardly viable. And as for the general cost of living , well I wont get started on that :mad: , I chose to live here , yep you blokes have got it good from where Im standing. ;)

8. Monty Artrip

Monty Artrip Active Member

I use the Epo-Grip bloodout degreaser on larger fish. Seems fairly safe and I degrease them overnight with no ill effects. On smaller trout I am with Frank on not using a heavy degreaser. After removing the carcass and an initial scraping I rub a little Dawn detergent on the inside of the skin. Fold the skin together and let it sit 10-15 minutes then do your final scraping and rinse. Got this from Dennis Arp years ago and never had a problem with smaller trout done this way.

9. Jim F.

Jim F. Let's go Fishin!!!

I brush Kemsol Degreaser full strength on Trout and Salmon skins. Leave covered for two hours and then wash in Dawn detergent.
    I remove all fins and head also.
    Seems to work real good for me.
    I do pressure wash all of my skins, so that may make a difference.

10. rogerswildlife

rogerswildlife Rogers Wildlife Taxidermy Tommy Rogers

You pressure wash fish ?

11. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

Thanks Jim.

12. Jim F.

Jim F. Let's go Fishin!!!

Yes I pressure wash all of my Chinook and Great Lakes Trout.
    It works real good at removing all of the connective tissue.
    If the scales are tight, then I have no scale loss. Most chromers lose their scales long before I get to the pressure washer.
    I don't pressure wash warm water fish.

13. The price of petroleum materials are constantly incurring price increases, even though the price of oil per barrel has dropped.

The good news is there are alternatives which work, are safer and are extremely more price effective. The Epo-Grip Bloodout Degreaser for instance is $41.75 per gallon. Because it is a concentrate, that one gallon will produce 20-40 gallons of degreasing solution depending on how strong of a solution you make.

If you do the math that puts you at $2.08/gal for a 20:1 dilution and $1.04/gal for a 40:1 dilution. As a bonus there are no disposal issues, it's reusable, environmentally safe, bio degradable, non flammable, non hazardous and it works.

Pretty hard to beat from price to disposal.

14. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

Thanks Eric. When the aint thinner is spent i'll have to give your product a shot.

Cheers!