1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

What to charge to clean trophy rooms

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by ljones, Jul 13, 2015.

1. ljones

ljones 1994 wasco award winner

I have a good client that has asked me to come and clean all his mounts in two trophy rooms ... I have done most all of the mount over a period of the past 25 years ... Probley around 100 mounts from all over african, North American, newzealand ...HOW SHOULD I CHARGE FOR THIS WORK by the piece or by the hour ? I would do the work on site and have a couple helpers .. I would also be taking all the tools I would need to his place to do the work.. . This guy is a multi millionaire so money is no object but I want to be fair , he is hosting some kind of event for one of the republican presidential candidates J.B . next month and said he wants his trophy room prefect.

2. BrookeSFD16

BrookeSFD16 Well-Known Member

Wow. Well if I were doing it I would first figure how much money I wouldn't be making working at my shop. The time spent doing the cleaning job would be time that I would/could be mounting something else. Next I would figure the hourly wage I would pay helpers. Then travel, including meals.

Then it would be a matter of exactly how much cleaning we are talking. If it's just dusting/brushing and cleaning eyes or if you will actually remove mounts to shampoo and redry. It sounds like a BIG job. I would then add in 20% -40% to cover unseen expenses. Can everything be reached off a ladder or will you need scaffolding or a scizzor lift?

Please let us know how it goes. And if he doesn't mind....take pics of the trophy room. We all like looking at Trophy Rooms!

3. michael p.

michael p. Getting better with age :)

Charge $50 per mount. That sounds fair to all and some may take hours to clean, many will take but a few minutes. That's $5000 gross, enough to cover overhead expenses and pocket $2500

4. Museum Man

Museum Man Well-Known Member

I just finished doing all of one of my largest clients trophy room.....I go through everything every two years....clean, bug spray, and paint and clear touch up.....I charge him from 30 to 50 bucks per item.....some of the small duiker shoulder mounts are in the 30 dollar range....the small stuff takes less than three min. each....he has a scaffold put up before I get there and it could not be easier money...at a couple hundred items, I walk out with a good deal of change with very little actual work..don't cut yourself short on the money

5. James Parrish

James Parrish Tundra Swan...Its What's For Dinner!

Obviously, this is a top tier client. I would charge him enough to cover my time, my employees, and my supplies/travel. Though money is not an object to folks like this, they don't like being taken advantage of either. I can't see charging a guy who has spent (I assume) well over $100K at your business $50 to clean a mount that takes 5 minutes. At the same time, I wouldn't want to clean and touch up finish work on a mount that takes a couple hours for $50. I'd tell him that you really don't know what the cost will be until you're finished. Maybe quote him an hourly rate that will cover everything and explain that that is the most fair way (for both of you) to price it. That's good customer service after the sale and we all appreciate that. If someone else had done most of the work or he was a pain to work with, I would charge at least $50 per mount.

6. ljones

Thanks for the imput guys , I went to his place yesterday and looked things over ... Looks like most of the mounts will only take a few minutes each to clean but that's after they are off the wall... most are hanging high and require ladders to take down also some furniture will have to be moved away from the wall to get to them... I told him between $40 and $50 per mount and he said LETS DO IT !

7. Jerry Huffaker

Jerry Huffaker Well-Known Member

I would charge by the hour and the same rate as my shop time plus travel expenses.

8. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    I agree with Jerry on this but I also see you already have an agreement. I was called to go inspect an extensive collection and give estimates of repairs for insurance purposes , it turned into mainly just a cleaning. I charged my shop rate per hour and travel expenses. That way worked for of all of us in that situation.

9. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

X3 with Jerry. I avoid killing the golden goose.

10. ljones

I have been doing some figuring. And at $50 per mount that's. $5000 going to take a minimum of 2 days .. And like MP said some may take only a few minutes, lifesizes may take a hour or more ...going to have to take half my shop to his place to do the work plus pay two helpers and will be doing most of the work out side in 90 + degree heat ..hopefully I can find a spot under a shade tree to work !

If I charged by the hour. And use $100 per hour shop rate for 16 hours that comes to $1600. Plus still have to pay help , work outside and take half my shop with me .. I think i like by the per mount pricing better

11. FishArt

FishArt Well-Known Member

X4 - T&M!

After all these years I am pretty sure the guy trusts you! It's too difficult to estimate and you'll spend a lot of wasted time here estimating! By going T&M you will be compensated fairly and your customer will probably save a few bucks vs. a fixed price...

12. ljones

Here is a few pictures of some of the mounts after we got done....took every mount off the wall cleaned , repaired ,paint work if needed ... Took 2 of us 2 days to do the work...ended up being a total of 83 mounts ,... I did all but about 6 of these mounts ......the oldest was a deer head I did from1988

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

COUPLE SHOTS OF HIS WT WALL all done by me

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. txoutdoors

txoutdoors Active Member

Sweet room!