1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Help Deer Mount Bugs

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by Nobady, Jul 15, 2015.

1. Nobady

Nobady New Member

USA
    So this is pretty much completely my fault, I did not do research before buying a Deer Head Mount and I bought one through a yard sale site and I'm pretty sure its infected with moths or some other kind of bug (Crap), which is causing the hair to fall out (its not super noticeable, just around the antlers and at the base of the ears). The only good news is I don't have any other mounts, just skins and they aren't in the same room.

From my research there's a few different things to try but nothing seems to be long term and I cannot afford bug bombing the house (its not my house, so I'm responsible for any infestation.. double crap). Other then bug sprays some people seem to think freezing is a viable option..? I don't have access to a freezer.. any suggestions?

On another note, the people I bought the mount from mentioned they had other mounts, do you think I should tell them the mount is infected? I didn't pay very much for it and I honestly don't think they were trying to unload a hot mount, but well like I said it was very very cheap.

2. Are you sure its bugs? There are other factors that could cause it to loose hair. How it was tanned, disease etc. How old is the mount?

3. Throw it out if you think its bugs.....you've just said you bought it from a yard sale for very very cheap.

As pointed out, it could be other factors as to why it is losing hair, but it doesn't sound worth worrying about to me. Cut the antlers off and pitch it.

4. Nobady

Nobady New Member

USA
    I found a taxidermist willing to look at it for me and he confirmed it does have a bug problem, but also said it was dry tanned and that's another reason why it's shedding. (In general he said it wasn't mounted well) Then he offered to buy it off me, so with that said I'm going to bug bomb it and hope for the best.

5. You could put the entire mount in a large garbage bag and put a bug bomb in the bag with the mount and seal it up. Leave the mount in there for a while and that should take care of it

6. Bug bombing will not take care of all the problems. It will kill the live moths at this time but when the eggs that are probably in the mount hatch you will have the same problem.
    For liability reasons I can't recommend a specific product but you need to find a product that has a residual ingredient in it such as B-Cyfluthrin,. You can look at a garden center as that is where I found one. Good luck