1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Another tumble question

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by tagged out taxidermy, Jul 16, 2015.

1. I just changed out my motor on my tumbler. And it runs at around 7 rps now. Is that to slow? It seem like it is not doing a good enough job.
    Thanks

2. Bruce_Rittel

Bruce_Rittel Consultant Services

Which type are you talking about? A Wet Drum for Tanning - or a 4" Wide X 6' High Sawdust Tumbler?

If it's a Wet Drum - it should be able to run at 1-9 rpms (a variable speed control is best). Tanners have their own favorite speed. However, sometimes the amount of Water in the Drum will dictate the speed - especially if you using only one baffle inside the Drum to lift and turnover the Load - and liquids (water). Most of the ones I've personally used are usually 4-6 rpms.

If it's a 4 X 6 Sawdust Tumbler - usually they run best at 16-18 rpm. This seems to be the norm for most of the ones I've worked with.

3. Thanks Bruce it is a dry tumbler. I appreciate you answering my question.

4. Mr Rittel, do you have a idea where i can find a small ( 1 moose cap at time or 3-4 deers) wet drum for tanning , thanks

5. Bruce_Rittel

Bruce_Rittel Consultant Services

It sounds like you need a small Sample sized Wet Drum. I can get you one from my friend that makes them - they are 4' X 5' (floor space needed) and you need 8' for their height and ceiling clearance. The Drum has a screw on Lid and there is a Speed timer included.

It will handle 30 Gls, of Water (1 Qt./1 Lb. of skin weight). That should be big enough for tanning a Moose Cape or 4 huge Deer capes! It will tan 120 Lbs. of skin weight easily! Each load!

Send me a PM here if you're interested!

6. I recently got a tanning drum from Steve rotramel, it works great but I have to warn you, mine leaks big time, and I didn't have the easiest transaction with Steve. I will give credit where credit is due though. The concept if the tanning drum is great and it's easy to use. I recently did 9 antelope capes in it and it works great. I however, would not be able to use it if I was worried about leaking and wet floors. I have tried contacting Steve multiple times after I finally recieved it and can't get a reply or call back. Long story short, great product with pretty lousy customer appreciation.