1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Kingsnake skeleton

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by ElephasMaximus, Jul 19, 2015.

1. Male, about 120 cm long.
    2 ribs lost in the process :(
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

Nicely done. The missing ribs won't really be noticed. You could make an impression of the one just before or after it in plasticine and maybe try making a copy out of baking soda and cyanoacrylate glue.

3. I'll leave it as is though. The snake was badly necropsied so has some damaged rib tips.
    For supports, I made rods from hard black rubber tube, which is slightly wider than largest vertebrae.
    Top view
    [​IMG]
    Framed
    [​IMG]

4. Super cool... I'm working on a snake right now as well. Took me a while to find the missing ribs. It was like a skeletal version of "Where's Waldo". :)

5. Guus

Guus Member

Really nice! Snakes are among my favourite skeletons, their bodies are like pieces of art!

6. Very nice !
    Wish I dare start my python, but those ribs everywhere...

7. Thanks everyone :D

I keep ribs from my boids in tiny ziplock bags, with number & side indicated.

8. Vkvz

Vkvz New Member

Great work Elephas. Did you beetle it? I used to do the same with the ziplock bags by the way, but it's a crazy amount of work.

9. Yes, I beetled it (for a looong time), the body was initially pre-cleaned without damaging membrane between ribs so they stay in position, and dried in compact pose. Head was cleaned separately.
    During cleaning, all problem spots missed by beetles were carefully moistened with brush. Getting the rib joints wet must be avoided since beetles would chew them off!
    After cleaning, all ribs remained in place.
    The snake was whitened in wide flat container with solution of Vanish Oxi Action (rinsing with clean water is needed after whitening, or you may end up with bluish bones!), then posed with pins on large piece of foam upside-down. Most of ribs required support until drying, that means using several hundred pins!
    Finally, before mounting, I reinforced the rib joints with liquid superglue. For supports and head attachment, gel superglue was used.

10. RWOOD

RWOOD New Member

Thanks for the tips on the process. A snake is on my list to try. Looks great!

11. Found a pic of mounting process. Main posture is fixed by pins first, ribs next.
    [​IMG]

12. Started another one:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

OMG. I don't even own that many pins. :)

14. Couldnt pay me enough.

15. This is relatively easy, once you learn to position ribs at correct angle with minimal amount of pins - some require just one pin.

16. Guus

Guus Member

Very nice and respect for all the effort! Makes me want to do a snake again :) I think I used less pins for the one in the link (too lazy to upload a picture so I hope the link works): https://www.facebook.com/ArcticSkeletons/photos/a.438994999489737.106893.434612536594650/522828081106428/?type=3&theater

17. [​IMG]

18. HuntersUnion

HuntersUnion Member

Wow! Looks great! :eek: