1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

antler not attached to skull

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by tellis827, Jul 20, 2015.

1. tellis827

tellis827 Member

I was wondering if anyone has ever seen this before and how they mounted the deer. I brought in a deer that had a deformed antler. The antler was not attached to the skull plate and doesn't look like it ever was. This deer was seen last year with the same deformation. The antler is attached to the skin very well, but there is no attachment spot on the skull. There was actually skin between the bottom for the antler and skull. I'm not sure how to proceed. I don't know if at some point the antler may seporate from the skin or is it permanently attached. Will post pics

2. tellis827

tellis827 Member

here's a picture

Attached Files:

3. tellis827

tellis827 Member

picture 2

Attached Files:

4. JerseyJays

JerseyJays Well-Known Member

I would attach it like if I was mounting a shed antler

5. tellis827

tellis827 Member

I was thinking about that. Its weird how it's attached to the skin all the way around the antler including the bottom. When I skinned the head I actually had to separate the skin under the antler. I don't think this antler would ever shed because of the way the skin has grown around it, it was just flopping around the head.

6. ortegageno

ortegageno Active Member

NM
    Thats interesting, How on Gods green earth did the antler grow if it was not attached to the skull. Antlers don't grow from the skin. You may have to make a pedicals or use a shed connector.

7. tellis827

tellis827 Member

The one attached to the skin is only about the size of my thumb, the other side is a typical 6. I don't Know if it happened when it was young and got injured then just never grew again.

8. critterstuffr

critterstuffr New Member

May have only shed the one side . . . and kept the other. Tuff critters they are.

9. TIM DUNCAN

TIM DUNCAN surry county va

put a screw up thru the skull plate into the antler