1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Allergy to Magic Sculpt finally caught up with me

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by Cecil, Jul 21, 2015.

1. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

Been using it and Apoxie Sculpt for over 30 years and never had any issues, today I was doing finish work on a couple of northerns and a few hours later my fingers itch like crazy and are all swelled up. No doubt some pokes and abrasions from their teeth didn't help.

I guess it will be rubber gloves from here on out.

Hope the Benadryl kicks in soon. The itching is driving me crazy!

2. hambone

hambone Well-Known Member

I've seen people get serious infections from fresh caught pike teeth, not sure if that would be the cause after going thru the mounting process but I'm sure being punctured by the teeth didn't help.

3. den007

den007 Active Member

Welcome to the Itchy Guy Club! Anybody who says epoxies are totally safe has not experienced this. Once you get there, you are allergic. It can get to the point where just inhaling the smell of the stuff will get you itchy. Make sure not to touch the stuff then dig in your ears, eyes, or private parts. Don't be surprised if you get flaky eyebrows either. I have had some really bad reactions over the years.

4. FishArt

FishArt Well-Known Member

All of the epoxies are somewhat abrasive themselves and my fingers get irritated and a little itchy after a couple of days of modeling. I must not have a problem with these products though allergy-wise or haven't used enough to be a problem because my hands heel quickly and zero issues. The feeling sorta reminds me of dry hands some folks get badly in the winter where their skin is cracking and such. It creates a lot of the same feelings as an allergic reaction when your hands get irritated like that. Not denying that sensitivities/allergies happen. but, I'll bet in some cases it's simply the product being abrasive on your skin that's causing the problems... Stay away from modeling for a few days and then perform a 10 minute modeling task and see if you have irritation. You should be fine afterwards if it's simply being abrasive on your skin. If it starts itching - gloves time!

5. Brian W

Brian W Well-Known Member

I probably don't use enough of the stuff to get affected. Never had a problem with my limited use. I imagine perforating the skin would accelerate even a mild allergic reaction but glad I don't have any reactions. Of course, I'm the type of guy that will use gasoline in my garage to get the grease off my hands..... ;D

6. jim tucker

jim tucker Active Member

For myself i have learned that if I mix with gloves and do most of my modeling with brushes and such I don't have any issues handling it. If I have a brain fart and forget to put on gloves during mixing the skin will bee peeling off my hands in big sheets in a day or so.

7. FishArt

FishArt Well-Known Member

Jim, I have trouble modeling with gloves on - but I know DougP found a product a while back that is a crème that you put on your hands and it dries quickly and it's basically (a super-thin layer) "gloves" for 4-6 hours until it starts peeling off. You cannot get it off before that time frame. It does protect your hands from everything and might be an option for folks that have allergic reactions or just want to be proactive AND cannot use gloves. (Or should I say more like choose not - I'm sure I could learn if I forced myself). I think there was actually a cpl different similar products and I thought he said Meijers stocks it. Just another option...

8. torka

torka Member

I think one of the brands is Liquid Gloves. Most paint stores sell it, as do Lowes, Home Depot, probably Walmart and large drugstores may also.

9. JL

JL Taxidermist for 64 years

Cecil.....ask R.Christoforo about peeling hands. He can't tolerate epoxies at all without breaking out. I guess I'm one of the lucky ones who can tolerate most anything I work with. Been using the stuff for years with no effect but that could change at any time. Good luck...JL

10. I know the feeling all to well!! Ive also found Bondo does it to me as well. Ive used both Apoxie sculpt and Bondo for years with no problems, then all the sudden about 5-6 years ago my hands/fingers started itching like crazy and cracking to the point of bleeding and peeling all the time. Just recently was I able to pinpoint exactly what was causing it. It seems this is happening to a lot of people . Im now trying to learn to work with gloves and a respirator!

Attached Files:

11. stuffenstuff

stuffenstuff Active Member

Uggg, I know the feeling, I spent 2 yr's not knowing what the cause of Itchy and rock hard fingers and palms were...dermatologist just kept giving me a steroid cream... it would go away only to return...then I had open heart surgery and was unable to work for a few weeks, no hand problems! prob what did my artery's in, well 2.1/2 packs a day prob didn't help either :p
    funny how you can use something for more then 20 yr"s then one day it bites ya in the a**, I wonder why? maybe age lol I hate gloves! makes it hard to feel a feather edge :(

12. Clew

Clew Help a child, Build our future

York, SC
    My gosh that's it,
    My wife told me it looks like shingles
    My fingers will crack open
    marty do you know the name of that cream that dries?
    I cannot use gloves with this stuff
    cecil thanks for this heads up
    carl

13. Boy, I haven't been on here a while but glad I was today! Been dealing with itchy hands for about 8 months not knowing what it was. Hands get extremely itchy then brake out in hundred of little blisters that dry up and then skin starts to peel and crack. It sucks! Been getting Cortisone pills and steroid creme which only helps short term. Dermatologist says I'm allergic to something but couldn't figure out what and an allergy test was next. Looking at that picture it is just what I have.

14. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

Well gentlemen I may have spoken too soon. I used some the other day and didn't have issues.

I think it was from the mouths of the two northern pike I was working on that roughed up my fingers.

Darn pike and musky. No matter how careful I am I still make contact with those recurved teeth!

15. roonie

roonie Member

funny you say that cecil, i recently have been fishing a river with pike and walleye ...well...the fishing has been really good and ive been letting fish go...taking lures out of mouths for others in the boat...my hands are a mess. I honestly believe those teeth carry some sort of venom as i dont get this puffy when i work on cars etc and get cuts.

16. Clew

Clew Help a child, Build our future

York, SC
    Two days ago I used a large amount of this stuff
    Today I have little blood blisters and itching like heck
    Have not skinned fish in a week.

Going to see a dermatologist tomorrow

Carl

17. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

Carl,

I hope you get it resolved.

I seem to remember Tom Sexton became allergic to the fish he skinned. Had to wear rubber gloves when he skinned fish.

I've heard he doesn't even do fish anymore. Not sure if that had anything to do with it.