1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Flesher Question

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by CritterBrain, Jul 24, 2015.

1. maj1969

maj1969 New Member

MO
    Yeah, that is something too think about. Safety is always number1

2. I noticed the fleshers from the suppliers usually advertise their product as having a "fan-cooled motor"; not something you often see the HVAC motor re-purposers bragging about on here. Wonder if a simple computer fan would work for that?

I'm a bit concerned about the grinder option since my first project is going to be a bobwhite. I'd likely learn a tough lesson right out of the gate. :eek:

3. maj1969

maj1969 New Member

MO
    Finally got a pic of the one I recently built. Used a old tv cart so I can wheel around the shop. I have a roll of painters plastic on back. I peel off a piece and line the inside of the frame with it using clamps and magnets. Takes about 3 minutes, when done fleshing I wad the plastic up and pitch it. Clean up all done. Also have a florescent light that comes on with the motor, switch is easy to get too.
    [​IMG][/URL][​IMG][/img]
    The white is sheet metal so I use magnets to hold plastic tight out of way. Finally a good use for my speed feather setter magnets!

4. rigbobby

rigbobby Active Member

I guess I'm the last guy in the country still fleshing out ducks by hand. Just never have liked the wheels.

5. bucksnort10

bucksnort10 Well-Known Member

I doubt you are the lone ranger.

i would tend to bet most of us use both methods on a given bird. Some birds more one way than the other. (meaning by hand or wheel)
    If you ever had the opportunity to have an experienced taxi show you how they wheel a bird, my guess is you would convert to using one too.