1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Stretching long cut cape

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by kickstart59, Jul 26, 2015.

1. kickstart59

kickstart59 Member

I have a wet tanned long cut wt deer cape that I need to stretch. I bought the correct size manikin from ots but the cape is far from meeting on the incision. I knew it would shrink a little but I need to stretch it quite a bit. Wishing I had short cut, but its my first deer and wanted to make sure I did a good job fleshing, then I could have used a tire tube.
    How do you guys and girls stretch a flat cape?

2. Duckslayr

Duckslayr Active Member

Stretch by hand, or stand on one edge and pull. If it doesn't fit, ORDER A SMALLER FORM! Don't fight to make it fit. How did you determine that you ordered the "correct size" and where did you have it tanned?

3. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

Invert the cape on the backside, match skin to skin, and sew it up, starting at the head end, leaving a short Y. You can do a little relaxing or minor stretching once you have it to this point. An inner tube will work, just be careful. If you get too medieval with it...well, you'll tear out your stitches, and be back to square one. You can test fit it on the mannikin at this point. If it don't fit, follow Jared's advice and buy a smaller form.

4. Paul B

Paul B Active Member

Fleshing is not going to do anything to help with stretch, shaving does on a pickled cape, then tanned. Sew up as joeym said, make it easier to get on form.

5. JerseyJays

JerseyJays Well-Known Member

Odds are you have the skin pulled back too far.... Bring it foward on the shoulders and uo the neck until the seam comes together... you will have wrinkles but they will dissappear once sewed... (pending you ordered the right size form)

6. kickstart59

kickstart59 Member

I ordered the smallest OTS form with correct eye to nose. Tanned at Micro tan

7. kickstart59

kickstart59 Member

I know that, my comment about wanting to flesh it good was why I long cut it to flesh it as well as I could

8. ysb123

ysb123 Member

Kickstart59 your better off getting the correct neck circumference, it's easy to shorten up the eye to nose, or lengthen it if nessasary. A little more material and work if you need to add circumference or shave the neck down. Sounds to me like you got to large a form, pretty common problem if you haven't mounted any. In taxidermy I always go with the exact size or the next size smaller..you will always have trouble trying to over stretch any mount..

9. Duckslayr

Duckslayr Active Member

Ok, then shaving or a poor tan isn't likely your problem, since it was done commercially. When ordering a form for a tanned cape, you want to hand stretch all the way down the cape, then measure just below the ears. Don't worry about the eye to nose unless it's more than 1/2" off. That's an easy alteration.

10. Yes, a common problem encountered starting out, especially when cutting the whole length of the cape. I always stretched the limits of the capes when ordering forms to achieve a larger necked deer and ended up spending excess time rasping down the form to get it to fit right. How far off is your incision? If only an inch you shouldn't have any issues; taxi the skin fwd as previously mentioned. If you have a pair of stout ruffers you can grab them at each end of your incision as well and get a good inch or two of stretch that way. I always do a short Y incision anymore and ensure double check my neck measurements.

11. kickstart59

kickstart59 Member

Thanks everyone

12. Another easy way to stretch your cape is to lay it out flat with flesh side up. I then take piece of wood and hold one end of the hide down while pushing the hide out from the center to the edge with the wood. Then turn it around and push it out to the other side. You can easily get 2 inches this way. It is like squeegeeing it out. Hides tend to get long from hanging to dry or whatever. This brings the width back. You can also check before and after measurements at this time for your neck about 3 inches behind the ears, then check your manikin.

13. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

I'm betting the hide fits. If you use the method Joey suggested, you'll find that the problem is that when tanned, hides tend to stretch out. Sew it up as a short "Y" and then stretch it with an inner tube. You'll find the girth will increase and the length will decrease.

14. kickstart59

kickstart59 Member

Thanks everyone

15. aussiesam

aussiesam I'm an Australian.

As Jarad mentioned, stand on one edge and pull the other side and work your way down the cape. Or pull the cape over a chair back/fleshing beam, pulling down hard with a handful of hide on each side.

A tip I was given a long time ago was to paint a fabric softener/water mix on the cape and placing it in the fridge the over night - just before before mounting to get a few inches more out of it.
    Most of the capes I mount are a long seam cut. I just cant get used to a short cut cape.

16. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Sam, you're simply too damned young to say you "can't get used to a short cut cape". For almost 25 years, full dorsal cuts were the "only" option, till some of us learned we couldn't hide the seam very well. Now there are guys with no incision or burr to burr incisions. "Can't" often means you either haven't tried hard enough or you haven't tried. Try it, You'll wonder why you didn't use it before. (Richard Christoforo still claims he wouldn't use one because his seams don't show. I know better. I have one of his mounts. LOL)

17. kickstart59

kickstart59 Member

OK, how do you get antlers out on burr to burr cut?

18. Duckslayr

Duckslayr Active Member

Chisel or multifunction tool. Do a search on it, there's a good step by step on here.