1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Bass taxidermist recommendation

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by point75, Jul 26, 2015.

1. point75

point75 Member

A friend caught a once in a lifetime bass this morning and wants to get a replica. Can you please provide me with a few recommendations for a great taxidermist that will be within a 200 miles of northern Louisiana?

2. You could look on the Louisiana taxidermy website check out taxidermist there see who are fish heads.

3. point75

point75 Member

The state sites are too vague. I'm looking for the taxidermists that are winning the blue ribbons. :)

4. BrookeSFD16

BrookeSFD16 Well-Known Member

PM sent

5. Just because a taxidermist wins a blue ribbon, that does not mean that a customer gets a "blue" ribbon fish. There's a good deal of taxidermists out there that love to advertise that they're "award-winning," as if that means anything when it comes to the commercial work they produce. A fish that has won awards typically receives a much greater deal of time investment, which would probably price their fish out of the market. I am so tired of hearing people proclaim that their product is either "competition" or "museum" quality... what does that mean?! I've seen some pretty terrible pieces at competitions and museums! Regardless of everything I just said, your friend needs to look at the prospective taxidermist's work in person to get a full feel for whether or not it's for him. Pictures are often all we can do though! There are a lot of guys and gals out there that have never had the time and/or desire to enter into a competition but their work is excellent! If your friend is truly desiring quality, he or she may want to disregard distance and accept that quality comes at a price. Google images and taxidermists known for their largemouth bass. Forget about the damn ribbon thing ;D

6. dougp

dougp Active Member

Very sound advice.....!

7. Jimmy Lawrence

Jimmy Lawrence Well-Known Member

Daniel Blackstone is in Sarasota Florida. Next state over. One of the all time greatest fish guys ever. And the best largemouth guy I've ever seen anywhere. If you want the best bass guy in the business call Dan. He goes by DanB on taxi net.

8. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Kudos to you Outdoorzman. Exceptionally well said. Most people demanding "blue ribbon work" seldom are willing to pay blue ribbon pricing.

9. point75

point75 Member

Stating the obvious is no help to me. I know how to follow-up on referrals.

Big thanks to all of you that sent a PM.

10. George

How do we know it was "obvious" to you? If I had a fish that was worth the best reproduction job that could be done, it would seem "obvious" to me that the "200 miles" would be silly. I could have the best bass guy in the world do it, a credit card would pay for it, and UPS or Fed Ex would put it on my doorstep.

11. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

What's the big deal about those green carp anyway?

;D

12. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

I'd recommend Rodney Harper in Damascus, Arkansas.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Harpers-Pure-Country-Taxidermy/186616304727337

13. 1fish2fish

1fish2fish Well-Known Member

Archie Phillips is an award winning taxidermist who advertises "the nations largest Bass studio." Fairfield, AL.

14. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

:eek:

15. AnglingArtisan

AnglingArtisan Well-Known Member

X2

16. Brian W

Brian W Active Member

X3

17. Ron Kelly

Ron Kelly Active Member

You guys are funny. I just stopped at Archies shop on the way home from my Mom's funeral. Wanted to show my Grandson what a "real" fish shop looked like. Don't get me wrong, I don't like how they do fish either. I realize alot of guys don't care for him and his work. But, he still does 20-25 per day and had 500 fish laying there drying. Blew my mind! And he is without a doubt, the largest Bass studio in the world. Around 5000 fish per year as I can figure. And yep, right in the showroom were all his State and NTA awards. Makes more in 3 days than most fish taxidermists make in a month, including me. Laughs all the way to the bank. Just saying.

18. Brian W

Brian W Active Member

Sorry to hear about yr Mom Ron........

19. George

Condolences Ron.

Just saw Archie at the NTA. Reminded him that Al Holmes once stated there were 3 sons of bitches in the NTA; himself, Archie and me. I reminded Archie there were only two left and he'd better start taking better care of himself. Seems he's recovering from a split face (right down the center line) after having gotten a bit close to a 3 1/2 inch turkey load through a pump shotgun. Ron is dead on. Like him or loathe him, we could all learn a few lessons on his business acumen.

And if I had a wall hanger fish, I'd use Ken Bauman.

20. Steven Klee

Steven Klee Steven Klee Studios

Mike Kroessig, Clearwater Florida.