1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

can i save my fawn skin?

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by jessica_zooz, Jul 26, 2015.

1. jessica_zooz

jessica_zooz New Member

i picked up a fawn who was hit by a car. was bloated and green but hair is holding. was in the sun from morning till 1pm(30'c today). how can i get the smell off? i rinsed it in cold water a few times and now in water with small amount of bleach. i salt/alum tan my hides if it matters

2. Not sure about the bleach, I never bleach. I wash mine in dawn soap and add a little downey fabric softerner and I have no smell. I have a fawn I picked up the same way and have no smell now.

3. stuffenstuff

stuffenstuff Active Member

Just bare the smell till you get it skinned, after you run through the proper tanning the smell should be close to eliminated.... if any smell is left, the drying process should remove it....I would"t use bleach, not only is it a base" but it may have an effect on the color? lil tip, if the hide is in question, make an acidic solution, pH around 2.0, I use formic and salt, then dip the animal in this for 3 min, then skin...this should kill any bacteria and keep it at bay till you can prep.

4. Matt

Matt Active Member

I wouldn't recommend bleach either, and I wouldn't worry about washing it. You should get it prepped and ready for tanning. Most of the smell is going to dissipate during the tanning process. After tanning, you could give it a quick wash in dawn and cool water. The longer you prolong the tanning, the less likely it will make it. Good luck and keep us posted.

5. Ferrierer

Ferrierer New Member

It is a thing that is extremely important. And if someone else has presented to me.

6. jessica_zooz

jessica_zooz New Member

he tanned out with next to no hair loss or smell from rot. few bald spots from the road tho. thank you all.