1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Advice on conventions :)

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by Short taxi, Jul 27, 2015.

1. Short taxi

Short taxi Member

BC
    Reading through the numerous posts about how you got into the trade, I found many of the posts suggested learning through competitions and conventions. Therefore I've decided it is time to intermingle and visit you southerners! I've been scanning through the list of previous conventions listed and upcoming for 2016, and the list is overwhelming!

Can anyone with convention experience suggest one to check out? I'm up in B.C with little knowledge of the states, so I figure it's like a massive dream vacation with no kids! 8) The Vegas convention looks exciting but not the safest for travelling solo,.. so I was thinking one of the Southern states might be nice. Any ideas?

2. Carolin Brak-Dolny

Carolin Brak-Dolny Active Member

I am also from Canada, I have been to many different conventions. At the last NTA convention I met some people from Georgia. Some of the nicest I have ever met at conventions. And their convention is in February when it is not too hot and not too cold.

3. jim tucker

jim tucker Active Member

Learning is easier to attain at state shows IMO. Also a little better chance at meeting people and making friends. Big plus is many state shows are extremely affordable as compared to Nationals and World Shows. Last year here in Ohio $55 got you your membership, convention pass and all of the seminars.

I have never been to a BAD show. However the midwest states tend to have the bigger and more attended state shows. In no particular order:

Pennsylvania
    Ohio
    Indiana
    Michigan
    Wisconsin
    Maryland
    Illinois
    Missouri

All have decent size shows with active memberships.

Texas also is one of the larger state shows.
    California

4. AFTHUNT

AFTHUNT Active Member

Here in Wi we have a great show and there is a lot of world and national champions at the show that you can pick their brains and our seminars are great filled with lots of information. it is only $50 to join. check us out at http://wtainc.org/

Tom

5. Kerby Ross

Kerby Ross KSU - Class of '83; U.S. Army - Infantry (83-92)

Which .............

**The Vegas convention looks exciting but not the safest for travelling solo**

Which one is in Vegas?

And why would you not feel safe there?

:)

Kerby...

6. Taxiserv

Taxiserv James Newport

The Texas show is a good one to check out.
    We usually have 200+ pieces in the show.
    World Class Judges and seminars.
    We had 3 World Champs at this years world show.
    And it's in Lubbock next year, that practically half way to you!!

7. rbear

rbear Well-Known Member

Wouldn't it be intoresting to find out which state has the most active state members with world titles?
    Ralph

8. Amy

Amy Mammal artist

North Carolina is an excellent state show and NC is home to some very talented taxidermists. We just had our show this past weekend and the knowledge, comradery and southern hospitality is second to none

9. Kerby Ross

Kerby Ross KSU - Class of '83; U.S. Army - Infantry (83-92)

rbear.....

**Wouldn't it be intoresting to find out which state has the most active state members with world titles?**

Pennsylvania?

:)

Kerby...

10. The best show I can recommend that I have attended that is closest to you and offers top shelf classes would be Michigan.

Other shows that I have attended that offer the same quality classes would be West Virginia, North Carolina and Virginia.

More shows that, again offer the very best in educational classes that I haven't attended yet are Wisconsin, Pennsylvania,Utah,Texas and Indiana.

These are all state association shows.

Both of the national associations, the United Taxidermist Association and the National Taxidermist Association offer great classes and competitions.

Then there is the World Show every two years which is a tremendous event. It draws attendees from 10 to 15 countries at any given show.

Now, with all that said, there is much to be gained from all the shows presented by each entity in the lower 48. The ones I mentioned I have attended, worked at or are familiar with. BUT...you can gain so much educationally and personally from any of the events held in any state here in the US. Pick one and visit them and you will begin gaining techniques to improve your work and make what can become lifelong friendships.

11. I would say Michigan has more world champions than any other two states. It is a great show too.

12. Short taxi

Short taxi Member

BC
    You guys are fantastic! I've got a great place to start and a few individuals to pm lol.
    Thank you so much for taking the time to pass along the advice.

And Kerby,..
    Vegas has a bad rep. Not the place to be for someone who just likes the backroads :)
    Am I the only one that carries a scalpel in their purse? lol