1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Deer in Velvet

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by NVduck, Jul 28, 2015.

1. NVduck

NVduck New Member

I am sure when I clean a deer in velvet that the beetles will eat that flesh. So, my question is how do I treat and/or cover the velvet covered antlers to make sure my beetles dont eat it?

2. Galen

Galen 218-263-7177 www.EdgewaterTaxidermy.com

I would cut them off the skull and then send the rack to me to be freeze dried. and then put them back on after everything is done.

Galen Getting
    Edgewater Taxidermy

218-263-7177 central time zone
    in Hibbing Mn

3. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

The beetles will eat the velvet or it will rot if not treated. Best to remove them and send them out to be freeze dried or at least have them flocked if they are damaged. There are ways to drill into the antler bases before cutting them off so they reattach properly. Read up on this first. Keep them frozen until you are ready to work with them.

4. NVduck

NVduck New Member

when doing shoulder mounts i have treated them with turpentine gum. would this work? would it prevent the beetles from eating them?

5. DL

DL Well-Known Member

I have done my personal velvet antlers by just keeping the in the freezer fro 3-6 months. They are hard hired underneath and were within weeks of shedding the Velvet. I've never had one stink at all. I still have my first archery buck fin about 20 years ago that I did this to. No matter how you treat them bugs are likely to find them. My oldest ones have the tips on ties eaten off. Not bad though considering they were left in the basement for 10 years.
    We all know how fast Ducks feet get freezer burnt so I decided to do the antlers by letting them stay frozen.

6. NVduck

NVduck New Member

ok sounds like my best bet is to remove them and have them freeze dried. Thanks everyone.