1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Preserving Velvet in the field..

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by skullhooker, Jul 29, 2015.

1. skullhooker

skullhooker New Member

Hey guys/gals, I have an upcoming mule deer hunt in the desert next week. I have been doing some research on preserving velvet in the field. My current plan is to inject velvet tan (Mckenzies product) into the veins and apply it to the velvet itself. Has anyone used this and can verify this is the next best thing to dealing with fermaldihyde itself (which I hear is real nasty). Then today, I was reading about a taxidermist that recommended applying turpentine to the velvet periodically until you can get it back to a cooler. I sure would appreciate comments from Anyone with some concrete suggestions or experience. Thanks so much. ~Rob

2. butterbean

butterbean New Member

I have used velvet tan on w.t deer with good result,however those were in the last stages before shedding.

3. I like knoblochs velvet tan. Inject it until it runs clear.

4. big dan

big dan Member

utah
    Formaldehyde for me. Everything else I've tried is garbage

5. Riddler

Riddler Member

X2 on formaldehyde!

6. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Stop Rot works well. So does a Touchstone product called '4in1". Bruce Rittel has a product "PreservzIt" that works. Formaldehyde WILL work to some degree, but transporting it can create big issues in some quarters. I don't know about the laws where you're going, but in California, I'm pretty sure you'd be in big trouble if you're caught with it. I'm simply NOT a fan of those "velvet tans".

7. Tahrhunter

Tahrhunter www.taxidermy.co.nz

Alcohol will work but same transport issues.

8. Syms1919

Syms1919 Member

So George how do you apply the stop rot, just wondering sprayed it on or inject it

9. George

I inject it where I can and then spray it all over the outside surfaces.

10. "When you say inject until it runs clear" how much are we talking about? How do you know the amount to order? Sorry for the seemingly dumb question.

11. Bill Dishman

Bill Dishman Well-Known Member

On a Deer, approximately 1/2 cup should do it.

12. ljones

ljones 1994 wasco award winner

There are many ways to preserve or dry velvet that will work ... The real problem is keeping bugs out of it after the deer is mounted .. We have done artificial velvet on many antlers sets that have had the real velvet so called preserved... most all of them have bug damage after a few years ... Any of the preserving methods are just drying the raw skin on the antlers which is like deer jerky to bugs. Replicaracks.com

13. George

Larry, not that I'm arguing with any of that, but I must say if a person has "bugs" in the velvet antlers,HE'S GOT BUGS EVERYWHERE. The velvet, much like I used to hear about freeze dried animals and freeze dried turkey heads, is no more susceptible to infestation than your mounts are. When I get a freeze dried set of antlers back, I liberally spray them down with permethrin - just like I do the mount- to stop the bugs everywhere.

14. ljones

ljones 1994 wasco award winner

I agree with you George that using a pesticide on the real velvet would solve the bug problem .. The customer should be made aware of the potential for bug damage to real velvet and be advised to use a pesticide on a regular basis... even though they more than likely won't ... Once they hang the mount it will be lucky if it ever gets dusted much less sprayed for bugs until they have already done damage